e36-tech.com • View topic - Yellow Headlights and Fogs

Yellow Headlights and Fogs

Discuss all 1991-1999 BMW e36 Electronic & Lighting related issues here. Whether its a set of custom projector headlights with 4000k HIDs, yellow HID fogs, or just having some trouble getting your car to ignite, post up your questions and comments here.

Postby mzender » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:08 am

So I keep seeing the yellow headlights and fog lights on ebay and other places. My question is, do they really mess with your vision when driving at night? Like for example, I hate blue lights at night cuz when on a black top road out in the country darkness you can't see the road itself, just objects in the road and road signs for miles. I like the look of the yellows alot but would they impair my night time driving ability at all? I ahve sensative vision the way it is especially considering I'm irreversably over half blind in my right eye.(glasses and contacts don't help is what I mean by irreversably)
mzender

1992 Maxima

Postby mzender » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:23 am

Like these...
Attachments
!B()OYNgBWk~$(KGrHgoOKjUEjlLmTEG6BKeBnZcv)!~~_12.jpg
!B()OYNgBWk~$(KGrHgoOKjUEjlLmTEG6BKeBnZcv)!~~_12.jpg (37.28 KiB) Viewed 4615 times
mzender

1992 Maxima

Re: Yellow Headlights and Fogs

Postby Molon_Labe » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:15 pm

I don't think yellow headlights would be the best idea. To get the best visibility, you should go with the whitest light. (5,000-6,000k) The yellow headlights just don't emit as much light, so you can't see as much as far up the road. The half-plus side to using them, though, is that you won't get as much glare from reflective surfaces. I say 'half-plus' because most reflective signs and the like are reflective because they're supposed to stand out. So, my recommendation would be to go with a white or slightly yellow light...Maybe go for a 3,500k minimum.

If you're still having problems, like with oncoming traffic or with cars that are behind you, you can pick up some night driving glasses. They're like sunglasses, but with yellow lenses. It would be a lot cheaper to pick up a pair of these and they have the same effect that yellow headlights would without sacrificing visibility and, in addition, taking care of external factors like street lights and other car's lights. They aren't tinted, so nothing will be darker. You'll just see a significant reduction in glare. Here's a link from a quick Google search I just did to get you started, but I'd recommend shopping around. http://www.polarizedoptics.com/night_dr ... asses.html

Good luck!
Molon_Labe

1999 Pintara

Postby mzender » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:07 am

Yeah i was more looking into pro's and con's of them. Got to rambling about my sight a bit. But yeah.. you answered one question I had about whichever you wanna consider it a pro or con but it reducing glare. And they were only in the french models right? correct me if I'm wrong with that.
mzender

1992 Maxima

Postby Molon_Labe » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:15 am

In France, cars had used yellow headlights from 1936 up until 1993. Originally, they were introduced when things were heating up for WWII. The French wanted a way to distinguish enemy cars from their own cars at night. The regulation stuck because it was believed that the yellow headlights were safer. It wasn't until 1993 that they jumped on board with the rest of the EU and switched to white headlights for the sake of continuity and because white headlamps may cause more glare but also offer 20-30% more light. They were deemed safer.

You might want to abandon trying to get yellow headlights, though. I just found this:
https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin ... ection=169

If you scroll down to and click on "169.55...Lights on all vehicles" under "Vehicle Equipment, Safety," it will take you further down the page and inform you that, "...Vehicles...Shall be equipped with one or more lighted lamps or lanterns
projecting a white light visible from a distance of 500 feet to the front of the vehicle..."

So, it appears that yellow headlights are illegal in Minnesota.
Molon_Labe

1999 Pintara

Postby mzender » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:51 pm

Oh nice find. Even though I know they wouldn't do anything around here about it as far as inforcing that. But interesting info, so it's lookin like the only bonus's are they have less glare and the French won't be shooting at me as i drive about.
mzender

1992 Maxima

Postby Molon_Labe » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:16 pm

You got it!
Molon_Labe

1999 Pintara

Postby mzender » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:09 pm

I figure they wouldn't ever go that far into fine print on the color of the light since around here you've got everone who's watched Fast and the Furious too many times plus an ebay acount have blue or purple tinted headlights in there cars.
mzender

1992 Maxima

Postby Molon_Labe » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:59 pm

Cosmetic stuff like that isn't really heavily enforced here either. Legal tint, for example, is 35% in MD, but everyone gets 20% and rarely get hassled. If you come across a cop having a bad day, though, there's not much you can do.
Molon_Labe

1999 Pintara

Postby mzender » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:32 am

Lol Yeah for sure, when a cop has a bad day, no one has a good day. But the local 5-0 around here are extremely strict about stuff like tint(50% here), things hanging from mirrors, etc.. So it's surprising they don't care about light color, especially since if you have aftermarket tail lights that don't show any red when they are off, like led's or chrome etc., you'll get pulled over within the first few miles of driving..
mzender

1992 Maxima

Postby Eurohb » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:53 am

To be honest doesn't look good. Headlamps should be clear in my opinion and you can run city lights in ur high's, Yellow fogs are good for cutting through the foggy winter day's and nights. But that's my .2
Eurohb

Postby Eurohb » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:13 pm

Frenched Highs and Fogs /Thread
Eurohb

Postby WangusKhan89 » Sat May 08, 2010 8:08 pm

Oh I do like those yellow foglights. Does anybody know where I might be able to purchase a set?
WangusKhan89

1995 Maxima

Postby DEFKON99 » Sat May 08, 2010 9:28 pm

WangusKhan89 wrote:Oh I do like those yellow foglights. Does anybody know where I might be able to purchase a set?

www.Bimmerworld.com sells the Fogs
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby crustproductions » Wed May 12, 2010 8:53 am

I just bought yellow fogs shipped for $29.90 off ebay.
crustproductions

Next

Return to Audio/Video Entertainment & Custom Lighting