stereo is not receiving power checked fuses?

Discuss all 1991-1999 BMW e36 Electronic & Lighting related issues here. Whether its a set of custom projector headlights with 4000k HIDs, yellow HID fogs, or just having some trouble getting your car to ignite, post up your questions and comments here.

stereo is not receiving power checked fuses?

Postby dusty325 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:13 am

i was doing an an aftermarket stereo install on my 92 325i late last night. couldn't see so i left the ignition on and i grounded the constant power wire with another wire and saw sparks. so i checked the fuses under the hood and all are good. and i tried looking for another fuse under the dashboard on the d/s but only could see wiring and relays. did i fry a wire? all other electronics seem to be working fine. i pulled off the wiring harness adapter and put he stock radio back in and nothing no lights or sound.stock hu was working fine before and fuse is still good. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
dusty325

Re: stereo is not receiving power checked fuses?

Postby dusty325 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:44 am

i found the problem it was a fuse that looked fine but i replaced it because i have heard of that happening before on another forum once before. so i put another one in and it worked great i was so relieved. i guess this post was pointless but maybe someone else could find my experience useful.
dusty325

Postby Adam » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:41 pm

That's good to know that it was just a simple fuse. Welcome to the Tech!
Braking wastes momentum.
Adam

1997 Figaro

Postby GreenE36Lantern » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:44 pm

I currently have somewhat of the same problem. I redid the wiring to the stock harness on the bimmer before I installed my aftermarket h/u because the previous owner left it all ghetto-rigged. Afterward, I proceeded with the install and everything was fine. Radio worked, CD player worked, sound was crisp. Then while I was driving, I decided to give the head/unit a little push just to give it better fitment (wasn't completely secured). Next thing I know... it stops working... no sound, no display. For a little while I was able to remove and insert the CD. Then I decided to shut the car off and unplug the h/u to double check the harnesses and plugs, everything seemed fine. Plugged it all back in, still nothing... and this time it wouldn't take the CD. I'm thinking maybe something got pinched/shorted when I gave it that little push? I know for sure it's not the h/u itself because I went and swapped the stock h/u and still nothing. I haven't quite checked the fuse just yet. Gonna give it a look...
GreenE36Lantern

Postby GreenE36Lantern » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:35 pm

Turned out the fuses blew... problem solved!
GreenE36Lantern

Return to Audio/Video Entertainment & Custom Lighting