e36-tech.com • View topic - best way to install aftermarket stereo in E36?

best way to install aftermarket stereo in E36?

Discuss all 1991-1999 BMW e36 Electronic & Lighting related issues here. Whether its a set of custom projector headlights with 4000k HIDs, yellow HID fogs, or just having some trouble getting your car to ignite, post up your questions and comments here.

best way to install aftermarket stereo in E36?

Postby Tidan » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Whats the best scheme for installing a new head unit and sub in a 97 328is?
Should I use the stock wiring and amp for the speakers and then wire in a sub seperately, or cut/paste into the original wire bundle and bypass the amp in the trunk?
Tidan
Site Admin

Re: best way to install aftermarket stereo in E36?

Postby DEFKON99 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:33 pm

I personally used the plug in harness so i dont have to hack up the original harness. I ran the RCA wiring to the trunk and from the amp ran all new wiring so when i am ready to put in the new speakers the wiring would be there.
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby Jay@Extremeauto » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:40 am

Tidan wrote:Whats the best scheme for installing a new head unit and sub in a 97 328is?
Should I use the stock wiring and amp for the speakers and then wire in a sub seperately, or cut/paste into the original wire bundle and bypass the amp in the trunk?

If you are running a updated headunit then I would first wire up the headunit to your existing car via Metra harness. Very painless and in most cases plugs into your factory BMW harness so theres no need for a hardwire. From there its a typical amp/sub install.

4 gauge power and ground fuse with a 100amp line breaker
remote amp wire
2 RCAs from the back of the headunit ran to the trunk
sub box and speaker wire from the amp to the sub.

Do not touch the original wire to install the sub unless your planning to keep your stock headunit and need to get a signal to sen to the amp. Even then I donot recommend this method to any of my customers.

Jay
Jay@Extremeauto

Postby Tidan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks Jay. What wire do I use for signalling the amp to turn on?
Tidan
Site Admin

Postby Jay@Extremeauto » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:56 pm

You should have the blue wire that signals the amp to turn on with the headunit in the headunit wire harness.
This wire will run back to the amp and is your remote amp wire.
Jay@Extremeauto

Return to Audio/Video Entertainment & Custom Lighting