Anyone ever done Coaxial speakers in the front?

Discuss all 1991-1999 BMW e36 Electronic & Lighting related issues here. Whether its a set of custom projector headlights with 4000k HIDs, yellow HID fogs, or just having some trouble getting your car to ignite, post up your questions and comments here.

Anyone ever done Coaxial speakers in the front?

Postby chapel » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:16 pm

I'm debating going with the simplicity of a coaxial system or doing a full component system.
While I'm aware of the benefits with audio imaging when placing your tweeters higher, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to wire up a component quite properly.

at this point, I just need to get my speakers sounding good.

I think even a nice coax setup would help immensely

anyone know the top depth limit for mounting? I don't want to be fouling the stock grilles. I know most coax speakers stick out over the top a bit.

I'm not looking to spend more than $120 for the front speakers if possible. I listen to a lot of heavy metal. I'm also going to be installing a 12" sub in the back eventually, but I would also love to upgrade the 4" rears to 6.5" or 6x9s (does anyone make adapters besides BSW?)
chapel

Re: Anyone ever done Coaxial speakers in the front?

Postby JFM325is » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:53 pm

component systems arnt that hard to set up. Especially since our cars already have it set up for us. I would go component and just make sure you have good cross over systems in place and you should be bumping nice. On a side note I would go coax on the rear since it is impossible to get 2 speakers on the rear deck.
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby chapel » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:13 pm

how do you run the wires from the body into the door?
also, how fiddly is the door panels on a sedan? Should I buy a bunch of door clips to have when I DO break them off?
chapel

Postby JFM325is » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:02 am

i actually used the same wiring that goes to the door already. It is 10 gauge and suitable for speakers. I didnt buy an clips as it was easy to take off and I didnt break any but you probably should
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby chapel » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:25 am

Where would you mount the crossover?

also, where would I intercept the existing wires going from the body to the door so I can use the existing wiring?
chapel

Postby JFM325is » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:23 pm

I have 2 crossovers, for the passenger side and one for the driver side. I mounted one behind the glove box in an open computer slot. Since I have a 94 I dont have all the cool stuff that 96 and up have so i had an open space there. the second was tricky i had to mount it under the steering column. just make space you can figure it out. Lastly to figure out what wires go where take your door panel off and find the wires that run to the speaker. label which colors go to what speaker ie brown/blue, brown/white go to tweeter. on the body end remove kick panel and speaker panel and you will see against the body a set of wires running to the front where the computers/sound system go. FInd the same set of color wires and those are the ones you use. I would show you pictures but I have none and Im in japan at the moment so I cant take any lol
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby chapel » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:39 pm

Someone said I can't use crossovers with the standard wiring because the factory amp has built in crossovers?
chapel

Postby JFM325is » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:52 pm

thats if you are going through the factory head unit. if you are doing a system it will go speaker -> crossover -> headunit. doesnt route through any of the factory stuff except for the wiring
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby chapel » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:55 pm

well, I wanted to use the existing wiring that goes from the body to the doors.
chapel

Postby JFM325is » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:12 pm

exactly, use the existing wiring from body to doors, cut so you can go into the crossover and from the crossover go to the new headunit with new wiring.
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Return to Audio/Video Entertainment & Custom Lighting