E36 - MAF Location for Performance Air Filter Installation

Just the place for posting up your favorite cruising song or newest additions to the tool chest. Our General Forum is the place for non-technical related discussion of the 1992-1999 BMW 3 series as well as other BMW models and general motoring advice.

E36 - MAF Location for Performance Air Filter Installation

Postby Lawton E36 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:06 am

Hello Everyone!

I have purchased an aftermarket air filter to fit to my 1999 E36 318is, however, am having some issues.

From reading threads on this forum regarding air filter installations, I believe it has become evident that my car is not like others. When I say this, I am referring to the MAF (mine appears to be circular, rather than rectangular), however, I am not a mechanic and am not certain of this - apologies!

(Before buying the product I did check comparability with my car - which has since been confirmed by the company.)

Rather than getting advice on how to fit an after market air filter as provided in other threads, I am hoping someone may be able to assist me in identifying the MAF on my car, and identifying what product would be compatible with my car?

Please see the image attached. (I have annotated this with what I believe the connections are - almost 100% confident with the temp sensor). I am confident there are no more connections/sensors on my vehicle than those highlighted.

PS. This is my first post. Apologies if this has not been posted correctly. Constructive criticism welcome.

Lawton E36

Return to General Discussion