Got pulled over today....

Just the place for posting up your favorite cruising song or newest additions to the tool chest. Our General Forum is the place for non-technical related discussion of the 1992-1999 BMW 3 series as well as other BMW models and general motoring advice.

Got pulled over today....

Postby Dubby » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:37 pm

So I just finished my Automotive class and I was pulling out of the parking lot. I stop at a busy stop light with cars all around me and i notice that there was a cop two cars behind me and a lane over. I think to myself: Ahhhh no worries, he isn't going to notice my exhaust. So I will just pull away with low RPMs and shift to the highest gear possible. Finally I pull away nice and slow and make as little noise as possible. As I cross the intersection, I turn on my signal to get into the left turn lane to get onto the freeway. Sure enough, the cop pulls up behind me. I look in my left mirror and notice it is a sheriff. "Fuck, I am screwed." I can see that he rolls down his window, pokes out his head, and looks at the back of my car. Light turns green and I take off super slow. I shift to second as fast as I can to reduce. But I was getting onto the freeway so I had to speed up eventually. I bring it up to about 3500 RPMs and then shift to third. WOOP WOOP! And suddenly flashing lights glare up my glasses. I speed up a bit to get onto the freeway because I am still on the onramp with no where to pull over. So once I get onto the freeway I pull over safely and efficiently. He gets out of the car and walks to the right side of my car. He walks onto the curb because it is a tight space so I open my sunroof so he wont have to stoop down. HAHA

License and registration please he says as he talks to me through the open sunroof. I say: Would you like proof of insurance as well sir? So I hand him all three things and as he looks them over for a bit, I ask him what the problem was. "Your exhaust is illegal." That is all he said. I tell him that I had just bought my car and it came that way and I haven't had a chance to fix it yet. I also told him that I just got out of Auto class. He walks away and doesn't come back for what seems like forever. He finally comes back for what seems like forever and hands me a fix it ticket. "I gave you two months to fix it since you just got your car and I usually give one month so consider yourself lucky." I thank him. "By the way, you have a really nice car. What model is this?" Oh its the 328is - the step down from an m3. "Why didn't you get an m3?" Oh I cant afford the insurance for that car so I decided to get this one.

We started to talk about the differences between the two cars. Blah Blah Blah. Anyways, at the end of the conversation he said: Well most people cant handle the power of those vehicles. And I replied back nonchalantly - Yeah most people...
Drive home safe. That is all he said!

Overall I think the story is worth getting pulled over.
No Fat chicks Allowed: My Tires Will Rub
Dubby

Re: Got pulled over today....

Postby Caligula » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:24 am

With all the shitty little cars with fart can exhausts you see on the road...

I do think theres a preconceived perception on what stock sound is for certain cars. A Z28 Camaro would put out more noise then the nicest Stromong or Borla catback, but you dont 'hear' that many E36's unless theyre modded. Plus any car thats blacked out. Ive gotten pulled over for that before, though i have a Dinan exhaust, in which i was successful in explaining to the officer that it was a dealer installed approved part.

No worries, it takes longer to jack the car up then to take out the exhaust.

Which CVC violation was it? You may just have to, if you have the equipment to measure decibels, show the exhaust puts out less than 95db and has no cutouts or bypasses.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby Adam » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:10 am

Dude, that's crazy. It seems that California government hates cars and they're trying to get all of you onto bicycles or something.

I have a used 328is full exhaust from a car that only had 34k or so miles when the exhaust was removed. Let me know if you're interested, and good luck.
Braking wastes momentum.
Adam

1997 Figaro

Postby Dubby » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:38 pm

Actually I had my exhaust guy put the stock muffler on for me for pretty cheap so it was alright. Just so I can get it signed off and get it done with. Sometimes its better not to screw around with the law. Learned that with my last fix it ticket. Haha :wink:
Dubby

Postby HBrabs_m3 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:36 pm

run straight pipes.
HBrabs_m3

Postby DEFKON99 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:36 pm

hahah, well atleast he want too much of a cock!
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby Dubby » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:26 am

HBrabs_m3 wrote:run straight pipes.

Thats what I had before. Super loud....
Dubby

Return to General Discussion