Painted My Wheels Last Weekend. With Pics.

Just the place for posting up your favorite cruising song or newest additions to the tool chest. Our General Forum is the place for non-technical related discussion of the 1992-1999 BMW 3 series as well as other BMW models and general motoring advice.

Painted My Wheels Last Weekend. With Pics.

Postby Dubby » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:28 am

So the last owner of my car used plastidip to paint the wheels black. When I first got the car, I noticed that he didnt do a very clean job. On one of the wheels, there was a whole section where it wasnt painted and on all of the wheels it was peeling off in places.

But last week I had to get my car towed because a belt flew off and hit my radiator hose. When I put my car on the flat bed (it was a bitch by the way, my car is too low ha), the tow truck driver put the tie downs through my wheels which just tore up that plastidip. Looked horrible and was embarrassing to drive. So I decided to repaint the wheels. The correct way. At least my way anyways ha.

Here I tried to use my existing floorjack but it was way too high for my car even with the car on 2 inches of wood. You can see on the wheel the gold from the layer before the plastidip.

Hello gorgeous :)

Finally got her off the ground.

My dads idea of trying to show me how to do it. He was trying to convince me that I didnt need to sand it all and that it would stick right over the plastidip. I wouldnt believe him but then he just started spraying away at the wheel with primer and then IMMEDIATELY sprayed black on it. And then after I told him it looked like shit, he tried to sand it down which just made it worse. That set me back like three hours....

Closeup of what my dad did.... :shifty

Finally sanded down and ready for some primer.

Almost forgot to tape it off!

Hours of work to fix his mistake...

I actually kinda like this look....

Dont worry, I took off the //M sticky before I painted them. Luckily two of them were recoverable.

Primer coat #1

24 hours of sanding and painting later..... Sorry its dirty, it rained today and I wanted to wait until I got the BMW centercaps. Just got them today. :buttrock

Some of you guys might say that it wasnt worth my time but i think that is a nice clean upgrade to what I had before. And it works for me.... At least until I get my BBS'.
No Fat chicks Allowed: My Tires Will Rub
Dubby

Re: Painted My Wheels Last Weekend. With Pics.

Postby LincolnW » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:11 am

Looks great! I love black wheels, especially because you can't see all the brake dust.

Nice work!
LincolnW

Postby Ant Man » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:42 pm

A+ - looks great!
1995 BMW e36 328i M-Sport.
"The Ultimate Maintenance Machine"
Ant Man

Postby DEFKON99 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:37 pm

not bad you know you could have just plasti dipped the rims to save the original color if you ever wanted to go back.

how do you like that Ac Delco Jack?
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby JFM325is » Tue May 01, 2012 11:17 am

same shit I had to go through to paint my dsII's... but so worth it at the end
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Return to General Discussion