"New" e36 purchased

Just the place for posting up your favorite cruising song or newest additions to the tool chest. Our General Forum is the place for non-technical related discussion of the 1992-1999 BMW 3 series as well as other BMW models and general motoring advice.

"New" e36 purchased

Postby JAL0988 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:41 pm

I will be picking up my 1993 325is blk/blk coupe next weekend from florida. I am beyond excited and have some good plans for the car. At first I was going to make it a dedicated track car, but after some thinking I would like it to be road legal, in order to drive it to meets such as mfest, etc. The plans include a LS1/t56 swap. I know the enthusiast will probably flame me for putting american muscle into it, but this is what I've decided. I'm extremely excited to see what this car has in store for me. I'll update when I receive the car next weekend. Thanks for reading, John.
JAL0988

Re: "New" e36 purchased

Postby Caligula » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:23 am

Sounds like a great project. There are a few companies that have produced kits to help in the conversion with pre fabricated engine mounts, drive shafts, etc. Then you can always build it yourself if you've got the welding skills. The rear end in these cars can handle a good amount of torque. Though once you go past the 350-400hp range, you may have to start thinking about halfshafts.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby JAL0988 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:58 pm

Ya thanks. I was thinking about the vorshlag kit. Seems to be nice build quality. I have a buddy who works for Dallas performance down in TX. A guy he works with did the project a few years back so hopefully his experience with the build will help me. Thinking about replacing the rear end with an e36 m3 rear end. The car with be either supercharged or turboed down the line as well so I I need to build it right first to handle the hp/tq.
JAL0988

Postby Adam » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:46 pm

You're going to turbo or supercharge a LS1? Man, I can't wait for that YouTube video!
Braking wastes momentum.
Adam

1997 Figaro

Postby JAL0988 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:26 pm

Haha ya man. I'm pretty excited for the project. Once I get the car I'll snap some before pics. I'm still on the fence on super or turbo charging. I think the low end power will be good because of the LS1's tq/hp which leads me to lean more towards towards the turbo. But in my person opinion and experience, turbos cause more headaches. Love to hear some opinions.
JAL0988

Postby GoTopless » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:02 am

In a general set, turbo won't suck power. Do it right the first time and you won't have to worry about headaches! Sounds effing sweet though. Someday I'd love to drop an LS-1 in mine but not sure how the convertible chassis would handle it. Possibly just a sweet burnout and DD car. Pretty hard to beat a V-8 at 27mpg hwy.
GoTopless

Postby M-technik-3 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:59 am

Here is one that is finished, running and driving and passes inspection. If your budget can afford it consider getting one that has taken the depreciation already.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... ?t=1888216

[QUOTE=birdman2447;25011382]I am listing my 1998 ls1 M3, I need to fund a few projects for the winter. The car has been great. I have put just over 2000miles on it so far. About 1.5 years ago I purchased it as it seemed very clean. The chassis is in excellent shape for the year but the engine began produce a tick noise. Turned out a few valves were damaged. I always wanted more power and being an engineer who loves to work on cars it was the perfect opportunity to justify an ls conversion. After a ton of research I located a ls1/t56 out of a 98 camero with only 42k on it. Chassis has 129k. Here is a list of the parts I used, I am sure there is something I am forgetting:

Engine:

Headers: Vorshlag/American Racing 1-7/8 Stainless Primaries
Engine and Transmission Mounts: Vorshlag
Thunder Racing TruTQ L2 Camshaft
Patriot Gold Valve Springs
Ported Ls7 Oil Pump
Ls2 Timing Chain
Ls6 Intake Manifold
Custom 4" Fiberglass Intake
Exhaust: Custom 2.5" Dual stainless, twin magnaflow spun cats, magnaflow muffler, stainless vband clamps.
Wiring: Shortened factory harness for e36 engine bay
Volvo cooling fan triggered by GM PCM
Bimmerworld all aluminum radiator
Oil pressure, water temperature and wideband o2 gauges in cabin

Drivetrain:

ls7 clutch with ram lightweight fly wheel
New slave cylinder
Custom 2.75" steel driveshaft with JTR adapter
3.91 diff

Suspension:

All bushings have been replaced with stock m3 bushings.
RTAB reinforcement plates installed
Bilstein shocks with Eibach springs with under 10K miles on them
Turner racing sway bars

Wheels/Tires:

Trmotorsports C2 wheels with 245/40-17 Dunlop Star Specs with 1500 miles on them

Car is fantastic, has been tuned with HPtuners, gets 24mpg highway. HP should be around 450 and with the car around 3100lbs it moves well and the torque is very impressive. Gearing is great with the engine turning under 2k at 80mph.

Body and interior are in very good shape for the year.

All electrical systems are fully functional with the exception of the factory water temp gauge which I opted for a more accurate numerical gauge. Only issue is the airbag light is on, I scanned the system with my Peak tool and its the drivers airbag circuit. This will be fixed before sale.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I will post more pics soon. I am listing the car at $17,500.

Interested in trades or partial trades so feel free to ask, I live in Maine but dont mind driving to Mass or Ct if needed to meet up with a buyer.

Image[/QUOTE]
M-technik-3

Postby JAL0988 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:22 am

I appreciate the find but I would like to do it myself as a project. I'm a firm believer in building your own car. No offense to anyone who differs in opinion. I would just like to look at the car and say, "Ya, I built that." Also, if and when it goes wrong, it was my fault and I don't kick myself for not knowing what i was buying. But I appreciate all the opinions and advice. I'm Tebow excited about this build. Just made the reservations for the uhaul vehicle transport trailer yesterday. Come saturday morning, I'll be picking her up and starting a little work on her before I fly back up to NY. Interior stripping will most likely be first. :getmoney
JAL0988

Return to General Discussion