Building an m52 - low comp pistions w/stock rods

Discuss general and Technical 1991 - 1999 BMW e36 Turbocharging & Supercharging information & questions here. pppppssssssssssssstttttt! Whether its building up that nasty Euro S52 for mild boost or prepping that that non-vanos m50 for 30lbs of boost, share your experiences, tips, and build threads here.

Postby e36_kid89 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:57 pm

Im a new member, just thought id come here to ask a few questions.

well i have a completle m52 that had a headgasket failure and i'm looking to build it up to put into my 318ti that i bought specifically to get boosted :mrgreen:

I hear too many horror stories about leaking mls gaskets with good prep and without so at the minimum i want to put in a set of wisecos and o-ring the block with a stock gasket + arp2000s for longevity. the end goal i'd like to see is a 500+whp daily driver on pump gas. Hopefully i can make it there with the 35r and the TCD log manifold. I've spoken to todd and hes more than confident that it'll do that and more so im not worried, plus his hardware is very very stout with lifetime warranty. i ran megasqurit on my old boosted 3.5L e30 and while i know it and can tune it well again this is a going to be a daily driver im going to go with the TRM tuning blow-thru package. imo makes for a cleaner install too.

My question is does the same bf.c "550rwtq" limit apply for a 2.8 motor with low comp pistons and stock rods? i know s52 guys make more torque so it'll be more of a concern with stock rods but im thinking a 2.8 making 500-550whp it won't be an issue since it'll be making less tq = cyl pressure. I wouldn't be running 20psi all the time either, proably 1bar most days and i'll crank it up when i feel like having more fun as a ti with 400whp will be fun enough already!

Thoughts? this car will probably never see a standalone so im thinking my build will be more than adequate for my intended power goals/limits of the stock dme+maf

thanks for reading and happy holidays!
e36_kid89

Re: Building an m52 - low comp pistions w/stock rods

Postby euro2fast4u » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:48 am

hmmm thats a great question i would look at e30tech and see what they say are the max tq u can apply to the 2.5. i also plan on adding boost to the m50. post back here when you get some info and ill also keep my eye out for that answer

merry christmas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAdBeu3Z-Vw
"im gonna fuck the integral of your pussy with the derivative of my dick"
euro2fast4u

1993 Fairlady

Postby MikeE36 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:12 pm

You would *probably* be fine with stock rods at 500rwhp, but for how long? It may last several years, it may not.

Eagles are $500. I consider it a "while you're in there" type thing. Just go ahead and do them, and make sure to have them checked and balanced by your machinist for proper clearances, etc.

And this thread is refreshing! you're on the right track on all points! Bravo...

TRM's blow thru is amazing. I run it and absolutely love it. I have TRM spec'd wisecos and eagles in my S50.

-Mike
MikeE36

Re: Building an m52 - low comp pistions w/stock rods

Postby sandor203 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:21 pm

instead of using stock rods you are better off keeping the stock pistons and using a head spacer. Very rarely do stock BMW pistons break, but the rods are a weak point. Get some Eagle rods, a cometic head spacer (8.5:1) and a set of head studs... it's the best way to go.
sandor203

Return to FI - Forced Induction