Electronic dyno.

Discuss general and Technical 1991 - 1999 BMW e36 Turbocharging & Supercharging information & questions here. pppppssssssssssssstttttt! Whether its building up that nasty Euro S52 for mild boost or prepping that that non-vanos m50 for 30lbs of boost, share your experiences, tips, and build threads here.

Electronic dyno.

Postby euro2fast4u » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:40 pm

So my dad is really good at throwing ideas at me and well my mind goes wild. in the next few weeks ill be making an electronic peak engine tq gauge and connect it to the megasquirt. This will in result give you a number and show if your tune is working well or not. Its basically a strain gauge and i will be showing some test in a little on if it works well or not.

It wont tell you the hp or tq but it will tell me when the engine rotates the most aka the most tq. now im hoping the vibration wont give false signals but we will see. stay tuned

Heres the Strain gauge ill sketch up how it will work and my testing results.

I will only need this spring if my engine movement is more then say an 1/8th of an inch. which it might im not sure. but if it is that spring will all the engine to rotate on to the force gauge and not ruin it or throw it out of calibration.

Next step is to get the gauge to read on my arduino board then its time to connect it to megasquirt to see if i can datalog!! pretty excited no idea if it will work though lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAdBeu3Z-Vw
"im gonna fuck the integral of your pussy with the derivative of my dick"
euro2fast4u

1993 Fairlady

Re: Electronic dyno.

Postby Caligula » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:25 am

Interesting. I remember reading in a Popular Mechanics article years ago about a student who built a dyno for his Mustang by integrating pressure sensors in i think the flex disk or driveshaft joints. It proved to be pretty reliable. I like your idea though.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby euro2fast4u » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:45 am

Ill see how it goes is there a good location to grab rpm from I need yo catalog this force and rpm. Ill be doing my initial testing on the m50 but its more just a proof of theory. I should see max force at peak tq. I think this will only work on stock motor mounts. Does any one know how niche the engine rotates?
euro2fast4u

1993 Fairlady

Postby JFM325is » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:42 am

THIS IS SICK!! interested to see how this turns out.
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby euro2fast4u » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:34 pm

Currently having issues with this strain gauge might need ti abandon this three wire pos
euro2fast4u

1993 Fairlady

Return to FI - Forced Induction