Turbo Build

Discuss general and Technical 1991 - 1999 BMW e36 Turbocharging & Supercharging information & questions here. pppppssssssssssssstttttt! Whether its building up that nasty Euro S52 for mild boost or prepping that that non-vanos m50 for 30lbs of boost, share your experiences, tips, and build threads here.

Turbo Build

Postby JFM325is » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:42 am

I saw a post on the tech about a turbo build where the OP put a volvo intercooler in and it looked very very stealthy clean. Now to my point, a friend of mine crashed their 740 turbo volvo and she is now going to junk it. Since it was a rear impact her intercooler is still intact and I am going to be taking it to start my turbo build. Looking for ideas for this build to take into concideration. This will be a long standing thread probably, since I dont have a lot of money and its going to take some time to get all the parts I want but let me know what you guys think I should do so I have some other things to consider. Also I have a vanos unit and heard that sucks for turbos. True? False? let me know!

Just to be clear I have spoken with Euro about this alot already and have kind of an idea on where I want to go with this but just looking for more input and to have my own thread about this.

As of now this is what Im looking at:

WAR Engine managment
WAR MAf
WAR 60lb injectors
SPA5000 turbo (not set on this what do you guys think?)
Headers (dont know what to get but I kinda want a top mount)
DP?
Oil lines?
Piping?

so yeah there ya go lol
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Re: Turbo Build

Postby euro2fast4u » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:10 pm

if the volvo intercooler fits then go for it, if it requiers no cutting or modification then i would vote for it. WAR (you know how i feel about this already so if not search back on another turbo information thread). Its not called a hearder any more incase your having issues searching for turbo hearders. its a turbo manifold and good n tight makes some great parts and are tested but there pricy. I my self have been looking for a manifold but am unable to find one for the e36 for a resonable price.

dp you can build your self with a welder and a hack saw and about 1 u bend pipes from ebay (for the exhaust and dp your going to want all manderal bends as a 2.5 with a crush bender makes it into a 1.75" bend and greatly reduces flow.)

oil lines i went with ebay not my favorite choice but i think vac sells a supply kit that connects to the oil filter housing. the return line will need to be either tapped into the block or into the pan and must be above the oil level line.

piping im assuming you mean intercooler piping. ( i went with the manderal bent piping from e bay and looked great however when i cut the pip in half for a 90 degree bend there is a hump in the process of manderal bending the pipe. this cause a boost leak issue and alot of time to fix every pipe. ) i would plan out what bends you need and order from extremepsi since i think there parts are better and dont plan on cxutting the pipe to get your 90 degree bend. this will save you some time as well.

you forgot a few things i would get for sure would be a wide band so you can monitor if your running lean or rich.

oil pressure gauge oil temp gauge and boost gauge as these are sorta important to know but not a neccessatie.

afr gauge that i saw that was sweet was this one. (edit cant find it bc i think i saw it in a video) but it was just a gauge face that you would look through the vent and see the afr gauge. (i like the stealth look so all these things to me are important) if you dont care then do what ever and mount them where you want to just prefrence.

as for the turbo i need some more information i cant find any values for it to compare it or even match it to a compressor map to show you how well it will go with your build.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAdBeu3Z-Vw
"im gonna fuck the integral of your pussy with the derivative of my dick"
euro2fast4u

1993 Fairlady

Postby JFM325is » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:42 pm

euro2fast4u wrote:oil lines i went with ebay not my favorite choice but i think vac sells a supply kit that connects to the oil filter housing. the return line will need to be either tapped into the block or into the pan and must be above the oil level line.

I figured as much but I really dont want to tap into my block.. Fack

euro2fast4u wrote:if the volvo intercooler fits then go for it, if it requiers no cutting or modification then i would vote for it. WAR (you know how i feel about this already so if not search back on another turbo information thread). Its not called a hearder any more incase your having issues searching for turbo hearders. its a turbo manifold and good n tight makes some great parts and are tested but there pricy. I my self have been looking for a manifold but am unable to find one for the e36 for a resonable price.

Yeah I know its called a manifold, I just put down header...it was late lol I seem to find the best deals for mani's on bimmerforms so I will probably end up finding one on there.

euro2fast4u wrote:you forgot a few things i would get for sure would be a wide band so you can monitor if your running lean or rich.

oil pressure gauge oil temp gauge and boost gauge as these are sorta important to know but not a neccessatie.

afr gauge that i saw that was sweet was this one. (edit cant find it bc i think i saw it in a video) but it was just a gauge face that you would look through the vent and see the afr gauge. (i like the stealth look so all these things to me are important) if you dont care then do what ever and mount them where you want to just prefrence.

Forgot to put down gauges. Sorry, yes these will all be added. I am going to have to figure out where to put them as I do like the stealthy look so yeah thanks euro for the info!
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby euro2fast4u » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:44 pm

when i boost the e36 i plan on getting the center (sun glasses area) gauge set up with 3 gauges.
euro2fast4u

1993 Fairlady

Postby JFM325is » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Yeah ive seen those. I dont actually like that setup. I use my sunglass holder cause i live in sunny cali :)
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby euro2fast4u » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:17 pm

o me too but there normally on my face and i have 20% tint so its good enough for most of the time
euro2fast4u

1993 Fairlady

Postby JFM325is » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:37 pm

lol i suppose you got me there. I still dont like the way they look there though. I might make a PODI holder for my steering colmn but havent put to much thought on that yet. I will cross that bridge when I get there. For now gotta focus on the more improtant things.
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby JFM325is » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:37 pm

Soooo ive been thinking.... hard... and this is very dangerous because I come up with unrealistic goals and then try to accomplish them and end up fucking everything up. Anyway I was thinking... because our cars (325) come with the dual exhaust out why not make a small twin turbo set up.... As in have 1 turbo per 3 exhaust ports... Small turbos that dont take alot to spool but then combining them at the intercooler. Is this resonable? is it even something that could add power? lol I have no idea I was just thinking of it.
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby MrSickSense » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:30 pm

May not add power but it would definitely reduce turbo lag.
'96 ///M3 Techno Violet 5 spd
"Any car that merely takes you from A to B does not go far enough." - August Horch
MrSickSense

1996 Leopard

Postby euro2fast4u » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 am

and your parts list just got multiplied by two
euro2fast4u

1993 Fairlady

Postby JFM325is » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:28 pm

Well I thought about it more but I dont know if this is logical. PSI is generated by how much pressue is in a certain space. The smaller the space the easier it is to obtain a certain PSI. So if I have 2 turbos running at 6 psi and the both interject into a pipe that is the same diamiter as the pipe there were previously in would that mean that both intejecting flows would increase PSI to say 10? I know it wont double it doesnt work exactly like that but you would figure it would increase pressure alittle bit causing more PSI. Or am I getting the whole concept wrong?
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby Caligula » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:57 am

Dude, you need to take mad pictures of this.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby euro2fast4u » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:41 am

psi is just a restriction of air flow. what yo need to look at is mass flow rate for each turbo in lb/min of air.

this way you can match two turbos that will equal one larger one. you might loose the upper area power but its up to you. two times the work for the same power
euro2fast4u

1993 Fairlady

Postby JFM325is » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:41 pm

Caligula wrote:Dude, you need to take mad pictures of this.

its all still theoretical. I havent started building it out yet. Just thinking of ideas. But if everyone starts to agree that this MIGHT make more power and a stable system then I have no problem testing the waters to see if it can be done. Although it will take me awhile to get the money to get all the parts but still.
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby waldo170 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Google E36 Twin Turbo Hulk and youll find a build thread on it and a nice facebook page
waldo170

Next

Return to FI - Forced Induction