e36 M52 turbo build Noob

Discuss general and Technical 1991 - 1999 BMW e36 Turbocharging & Supercharging information & questions here. pppppssssssssssssstttttt! Whether its building up that nasty Euro S52 for mild boost or prepping that that non-vanos m50 for 30lbs of boost, share your experiences, tips, and build threads here.

e36 M52 turbo build Noob

Postby bmw1995 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:03 pm

Let me just start off with this, i am not looking to go crazy on this build and try and push 300+hp out of this build. i am using it as more of a learning experience and just for a bit of a project over the upcoming summer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-94-BMW-E30-3 ... 19ccdefa10

above is the kit i have looked at, yes i know i have looked around online and everyone says STAY AWAY! but i think this is because theyre trying to push more than 8psi out of it. in the future id upgrade the chinese turbo, but for a 4-5psi build would this work? also i am planning on using stock ECU, stock internals, stock everything -minus the setup.

i have looked into how to setup a turbo on a m52 but havent found someone that has done a full writeup on it. i have seen over the top builds and under builds. (sorry if its not correct terminology) if anyone can lead me in the right direction please let me know. and please dont just respond with (SHIT EBAY TURBO DUMB PIECE OF ASS) yes i know its cheap and yes i know it will break before any 3k+ setup. just looking for a bit of fun. thanks all!

D
bmw1995

Re: e36 M52 turbo build Noob

Postby bmw1995 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:18 pm

just found the correct builds: a top build and a lower build. which is easier to setup?
bmw1995

Re: e36 M52 turbo build Noob

Postby sandor203 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:06 am

Those kits are fine for what you are looking for, as long as the car is tuned well. Get yourself a cometic .140 head spacer and gasket kit and a set of arp series 2000 head studs to lower the compression and keep the head secure. Have the car tuned by someone who has experience with e36's, if you are in the NY/CT area talk to Jordan at RK Tune, he made 640 whp on a stock motor OBD1 m3 and the car held up for a very long time. Bottom mount is MUCH easier. There is no reason why you shouldn't make at least 350whp.
sandor203

Return to FI - Forced Induction