RIP 9/25/09

Be up on the latest news from E36-tech and share your suggestions with the staff.

RIP 9/25/09

Postby Hodge » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:50 pm

Well, I finally feel like posting this here....been holding off for awhile.

On Friday, September 25th, 2009, my dad, David Alan Rogers passed away.

We learned last year that he had end-stage liver failure and cirrhosis, all caused by hemochromatosis. Hemochromatosis is a genetic disease that allows the body to store too much iron and symptoms may not hit until late in adulthood. It is not something they check for since it is rare. Basically his liver stored too much iron and caused cirrhosis.

On Wednesday September 23rd, we took him to the hospital after his doctor found out that his fluid build up had become infected. Soon the infection grew to his kidneys and basically just shut down his systems. On top of it all his body was producing astronomical amounts of potassium, and his nurse was shocked that his heart could beat so strong even with the drugs to keep it going.

At 2:45pm on Friday the 25th, his heart rate fell from around 100bpm to around 10-20bpm. My eldest brother was over the Atlantic heading back to the US from Germany at the time. He landed at around 3:35pm in Charlotte. At 3:37pm, after nearly an hour of such a low heart rate, the 2nd nurse pronounced him.

I cannot tell anyone who has not gone through this how weird it really is. We were all around him that day, including close many close friends. Perhaps more than 10 of us were around my dad in this tiny ICU room. My mom and I are still in a fog about the whole thing and since we all have gotten back into our weekly grooves, it is not as difficult, but my schedule is the worst. After classes and many mornings before work I will be home and he no longer is. I have caught myself many times thinking about things I wanted to talk to him about, be it about BMW's, work, or whatever.

I can't tell you guys (and gals) how much he loved his BMW hobby. He had a 74 2002 from 76-92 and at the time one of the only BMW's in Sarasota, and if not only in Venice. Car had issues and there was nobody to fix it. Then he wanted to take care of his family and his hobbies all pretty much got pushed aside, until we were a bit older and could appreciate them with him.

He had just finished the $100 set of E38 16x8 basketweaves I found on Craigslist for myself but ended up giving to him for his E24, literally a few days before he died. We already had tires for them, so I had them mounted the next week and I tell you what, he would have loved the way they look. on his E24.

David Rogers, 62
7/23/47 - 9/25/09

We all will see you soon Dad.
ImageImage
Hodge

1989 350Z

Re: RIP 9/25/09

Postby Caligula » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:07 pm

My God Hodge im so sorry. I cant compare any past experiences to what you must have and are still going through. I can only image if someone that close had left so abruptly, with so much yet to be said and done. I know your father was proud of all the involvement you took in the BMWs that he fell in love with long ago, and im sure was filled with more joy then any of us could have described as you presented every new contribution to what ive seen as a growing legacy in your family. Myself and the rest of the guys here are with you in anyway you need.

Mike.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby Hodge » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Thanks Mike.

He truly loved his family. My Mom, my two brothers, my sister, and me.

His children were his true treasures. He talked about us to so many more people than I ever realized.

At the very least, 200 people showed up for his memorial service. Many knew by contact, but many more only found out that Monday morning about the service and showed anyway. A few of his/our Bimmer pals showed up too. One even spoke about my Dad and us during the service.

Having lived in Venice since 1966, he knew ALOT of people (my mom too), and also made incredible connections that I never and may never fully realize.

He was an absolutely amazing man, and I am only sad that I am not able to share in more of his life experiences. He is a definite pillar that I want to live up to.

It is definitely comforting to know that he is no longer in pain. He had quite a few other ailments on top of his Hemochromatosis. He had severe sceliosis in his upper spine (he had a large hump), had some pretty messed up ankles (from track and basketball in highschool and more basketball after he moved here), and was showing some athoritis.

Even through that all, he still had two jobs, one was his lawn care business that up until about one year ago he would do 6 days a week every morning. His other job was from 3-11:30pm 5 days a week. He outworked us all, and rarely complained about doing it. It wasn't a burden to him to support his family. He LOVED supporting his family.
ImageImage
Hodge

1989 350Z

Postby MIKEGTR » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:03 pm

Wow... Hodge, I'm so sorry for your loss... I just read the entire thread and as amazing as your Dad's life was, it is even more amazing the courage and foresight He must've taught you for you to handle this situation with such maturity. I wish you and your family the best and like Mike said, we are here for you in anything you might ever need!

Mike

bimmerblood wrote:i dont smoke pot because im not 13 and i have to accomplish things during the day time
MIKEGTR

1998 Almera

Postby DEFKON99 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm so very sorry to hear of your dad. haha i remember you posting that he was doing it to et to those wheels,
Sounds like an awesome guy!
I just lost a close aunt to Cancer earlier this month so im choking up after reading your story.
My thoughts are with you.
Take Care
Rudy
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby Volfinator » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:49 pm

Sorry to hear brother...
Volfinator

1995 Leopard

Return to Site News and Suggestions