Need to not have so many categories in Tech Section

Be up on the latest news from E36-tech and share your suggestions with the staff.

Postby Kevin@StreetLethal » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:35 am

Just my .02

Would like to see this site become more popular but I find navigation challenging.

I realize some folks may want to browse individual categories and I see the value in having some, but for example having an HVAC section seems a little too detailed?

In other words, a "little" more like BF, so I can go to 1 (or as few as possible) categories for all Tech info? I can see having a dedicated "racing" section, maybe a few others. Right now there aren't enough posts in any category to warrant so many individual categories.
Kevin@StreetLethal

Re: Need to not have so many categories in Tech Section

Postby Caligula » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:29 am

I appreciate the feedback. Though have you tried finding the answer to a specific E36 or and other E model air conditioning question on bf.c? Where should you look, in the M3 or E36 page, or what about the mechanical help section. For all their members who have made posing on bf.c a daily habit, the handful of threads you get back will mostly be useless to your issue, the ones that have genuine information will be flooded by other members comments which you would have to read through to find the few golden ones. May i ask where you would suggest we do with the accumulated threads in that section. Previously we had most of that subforum scattered between the engine and interior/exterior section and i found it made it more difficult to find not only the one thread you want, but related threads as well without searching.

The members issue we cant do much about without any further IT support. Though we have continued to grow at a steadily increasing rate for the last 3 years. Our monthly traffic has been consistently doubling every 9-10 months. I would love to have bf.c's problems, id might actually break even with what we've spent on this place.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby Kevin@StreetLethal » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:40 am

If I am looking for a very specific thing I search - in that case doesn't matter where it's at.

I agree that -IF- I am looking for a specific thread by browsing a section or that is my only area of interest then yes, how you have it is good. But I doubt too many folks are casually browsing an HVAC section. I could be wrong.

But 99% of the time I would argue people are just browsing and just want to see what's being talked about, regardless of topic (to a point).

Understand this is just my constructive criticism. I have no doubt folks are working hard behind the scenes (I haven't a clue what it takes to run a site). Again, just my .02 - I just find it difficult to "casually browse" the site. Because there isn't a ton of activity on the site yet, some of the sections really only a few fairly current threads - it would "feel" more active if there were less subcategories.

Also - think about this. Suppose I DO have an HVAC question so I submit a post in that section. Well, maybe a guy who is over in the Engine section is the only guy who has my answer. He'll never see my post unfortunately - to me that is the major disadvantage of how it's organized.
Kevin@StreetLethal

Return to Site News and Suggestions