Air Conditioning Compressor dead?

Freezing your butt off in those vaders? Post up in the Heating, Ventilation & A/C Systems (HVAC) forum with your questions. Whether you're braving the cold or rolling naked to keep from dieing of heat exhaustion, e36-tech has you and your 1991-1999 BMW 3 series covered.

Air Conditioning Compressor dead?

Postby j-amer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:58 pm

Summer came early in Northern California a couples days ago and I can't stand the heat. Since I knew my A/C didn't work upon buying the car I did a few diagnostic things I read online. When I turn on the A/C at idle I hear a ticking sound from the compressor but it doesn't look like the clutch is engaging. I bought a kit to test pressure and add refrigerant but when I checked the pressure it was over 100 psi! Is all my pressure backed up behind a broken compressor?

The life of my e36 in pics
Fluids: Liqui Moly Synthoil Premium 5W-40, Redline D4 ATF in my 5-spd, Ate Super Blue DOT4, and Royal Purple 75W-90 in my LSD
j-amer

1995 Fairlady

Re: Air Conditioning Compressor dead?

Postby DEFKON99 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:39 pm

The Compressor Is Overloaded!

1.) High pressure switch- in high side line with a connector on it. Switch may be faulty- but not usually the case.
Check Fuses.
2.) Improper freon charge- Freon pressure too high- or too low will inhibit compressor from running.

3.)Compressor clutch no good. Check to see if there is power (12volts) at the connector terminals to the compressor when the engine is running and A/C turned on- if there is and the compressor is not running- you have a bad compressor clutch.
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby j-amer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:06 pm

DEFKON99 wrote:The Compressor Is Overloaded!

1.) High pressure switch- in high side line with a connector on it. Switch may be faulty- but not usually the case.
Check Fuses.
2.) Improper freon charge- Freon pressure too high- or too low will inhibit compressor from running.

3.)Compressor clutch no good. Check to see if there is power (12volts) at the connector terminals to the compressor when the engine is running and A/C turned on- if there is and the compressor is not running- you have a bad compressor clutch.

Thanks for the quick response, fortunately it's slightly cooler today

1) How do you check the big block-like fuses?

2) Is there a way to release pressure safely?

3) Could I just replace the clutch instead of the whole compressor?
Fluids: Liqui Moly Synthoil Premium 5W-40, Redline D4 ATF in my 5-spd, Ate Super Blue DOT4, and Royal Purple 75W-90 in my LSD
j-amer

1995 Fairlady

Postby DEFKON99 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:33 pm

Best Thing to Do is to Vacuum the System Seriously take it to a reputable shop so they can perform this. Or You Can buy the Compressor and the lines and do it yourself.
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby j-amer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:58 am

I figured I might have to bring it in, that's too bad

I'll post back when I know what's wrong with it
j-amer

1995 Fairlady

Postby j-amer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:37 am

Turns out the #16 fuse was blown, I was about to pull the whole clutch out when I checked the fuse and realized it had a tiny tiny break in the fuse wire at one end. A/C works now! :D
j-amer

1995 Fairlady

Postby Caligula » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:45 am

Cool! Check the levels again now that its working.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Return to Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning