A/C on and off unpredictable

Freezing your butt off in those vaders? Post up in the Heating, Ventilation & A/C Systems (HVAC) forum with your questions. Whether you're braving the cold or rolling naked to keep from dieing of heat exhaustion, e36-tech has you and your 1991-1999 BMW 3 series covered.

A/C on and off unpredictable

Postby retard » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:39 am

Having trouble with my A/C.

Ever since my car was worked on for a water pump explosion at about 90mph on the freeway which destroyed my fan and radiator and various other coolant parts, my A/C has not worked. This was not a problem as I lived in Orange County, CA where it's 70 degrees every day, but recently moved to the midwest/south and am now In dire need of A/C.

Took it to a mechanic here for an unrelated issue and decided to have him check the A/C while he was under the hood. He said he fixed it, it only needed a recharge. I turned it on only for a minute or so because it was winter at this time and it seemed to blow cold initially so I turned it off and didn't think of it again. Now come summer and it is acting very strange and more often than not simply not working at all.

I cannot find a predictable pattern.. Sometimes it will blow cold for 15 minutes and then blow hot for the rest of the day, sometimes it simply wont blow cold at all, sometimes it will blow cold for 2 minutes then hot for 5 minutes then cold for 2 minutes, so on. When I say hot I mean it blows as if it were simply on ambient air vent, in my case 90+ degrees. When I hit the A/C button it lights green and I can hear the compressor kick on, but no cold air. I checked my freon pressure with a hand held gauge and it read within green or just slightly over, which I read was OK for the high ambient temps here (95-110) but no where near in the red. No odd sounds, everything sounds normal. I hear it switch on, slight dip in rpm, just like any other car - it just refuses to blow cold air.

Looking for suggestions, I don't want to take it to another mechanic because it seems they never get it right, but charge you regardless.
retard

Re: A/C on and off unpredictable

Postby JFM325is » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:52 pm

change out the switch that goes from hot to cold.
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby Caligula » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:10 am

JFM325is wrote:change out the switch that goes from hot to cold.

huh?

Did he check the high and low sides? Is the auxiliary fan turning on?
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby JFM325is » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:25 am

That switch. I had the same problem and my friend told me to swap this with one I got at the yard and BAM everything started working. Weird I know....
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Return to Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning