A/C on works when going 30+

Freezing your butt off in those vaders? Post up in the Heating, Ventilation & A/C Systems (HVAC) forum with your questions. Whether you're braving the cold or rolling naked to keep from dieing of heat exhaustion, e36-tech has you and your 1991-1999 BMW 3 series covered.

A/C on works when going 30+

Postby chief99fb » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:42 pm

Hey,
I am not a very active in the forum but when I get really stuck I post on the forum and yall usually have a good answer. My air conditioner is on the fritz. It has been doing it for 2 years now but I recently moved and my commute went from under 5 mins to 45 mins and I am tired of sweating my ass off on the way home from work. My A/C seems to work just fine as long as I am going atleast 30-40 mph. If i come to stops or travel under 30-40mph for an extended time, My A/C stops blowing cold. In order to get it to blow cold again, I have to travel at interstate speeds for a few minutes or turn the car off for awhile. Any ideas? Also, when the compressor engages it makes a nasty hissing sound that makes my E36 sound like a whooptie. I was told by a very knowledgeable friend that it was my A/C compressor clutch. Any help on this would be much appreciated. I have a bentley manual and some mechanical knowledge so A detailed reply is not needed, just what component is probably the culprit... Thanks!
Drew

P.S. its a 97 328
chief99fb

Re: A/C on works when going 30+

Postby DEFKON99 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:18 pm

Seems like your condenser is cooling the faster you go thus giving you colder air.

Is your AUX Fan Working? You can easily replace the motor on these as really Any E36 Model Aux fan motor will do.
Try a Local Wrecking Yard or Install an electric Pusher fan if it is the culprit.

One way to test would be to apply direct 12 Volts to the connections to see if the motor runs otherwise it could be your fan switch located on the side of the radiator that not kicking the motor on. You can google the images on these items to get a better understanding of what your looking for.
Keep us posted!
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Re: A/C on works when going 30+

Postby chief99fb » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:57 am

Thanks Defkon, I left this morning for a work trip but when I get back intown I will check into those suggestions,
thanks again
chief99fb

Return to Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning