DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

This section holds all DIY's directly related to the e36 chassis. Everything from changing the oil on the m3 to swapping an s54 into your 325i.

Re: DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby DEFKON99 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:18 pm

MikoPr wrote:Hey guys question I'm getting ready to do this swap within a week or two I have the donor car currently getting parted as we speak. My question is since I have the donor car can I just pull the harness as well and make it plug and play or will I still need to splice those wires? Also since I have the donor car should I swap the diff? For those of you that still have the 3.91 diff on there, what is your rpm at 80 or so on HWY. Also How much of a PITA is it having the 3.91 for daily driving. I'm leaning towards leaving it but would like to hear what you have to say.

Thanks
Miko

Glad my e30 friend told me about this site


I dont see why you cant use the manual harness...

i live in Texas and there is alot of highway my rpm at about 80 is like 4-5k fucking sucks
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

Image
User avatar
DEFKON99
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4209
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:59 pm
Location: San Antonio

1993 BMW 3 Series

DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby Dksmoke » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:25 pm

I have a quick question. I have two BMW's a 94 318i and a 97 328i. Can I use everything from my 318i and put it on my 328... This answer would help me a lot. Otherwise I'm leaving my 328i Auto. Thanks

P.s. My name is Anthony
Dksmoke
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby rochey6957 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:47 pm

hey first post. can this information be applied to a five sweep swap in a 318ti?
rochey6957
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby JFM325is » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:53 pm

rochey6957 wrote:hey first post. can this information be applied to a five sweep swap in a 318ti?


yes but you will have to find a 5 speed tranny from a 318. Other then that everything else is the pretty much the same.
Image
User avatar
JFM325is
Moderator
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 6:18 pm
Location: SoCal

1994 Fuga

Re: DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby Caligula » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:06 pm

JFM325is wrote:
rochey6957 wrote:hey first post. can this information be applied to a five sweep swap in a 318ti?


yes but you will have to find a 5 speed tranny from a 318. Other then that everything else is the pretty much the same.


Sure about that?
User avatar
Caligula
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6782
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:06 pm
Location: Ventura, CA

1995 Almera

Re: DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby JFM325is » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:18 pm

Caligula wrote:
JFM325is wrote:
rochey6957 wrote:hey first post. can this information be applied to a five sweep swap in a 318ti?


yes but you will have to find a 5 speed tranny from a 318. Other then that everything else is the pretty much the same.


Sure about that?


did I miss something?
Image
User avatar
JFM325is
Moderator
 
Posts: 1062
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 6:18 pm
Location: SoCal

1994 Fuga

Re: DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby rochey6957 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:25 pm

JFM325is wrote:
Caligula wrote:
JFM325is wrote:
yes but you will have to find a 5 speed tranny from a 318. Other then that everything else is the pretty much the same.


Sure about that?


did I miss something?


i believe all e36 use thew same trannys regardless of engine. ie: a zf tranny from an m52 will mate to an m44
rochey6957
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby DEFKON99 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:51 pm

pm'ed
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

Image
User avatar
DEFKON99
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4209
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:59 pm
Location: San Antonio

1993 BMW 3 Series

Re: DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby rochey6957 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:56 pm

would a flywheel from an m3 work on 318? do i need to change my flywheel in the swap?

what are the parts that need to be changed out during the swap.
pilot bearing
throwout bearing
what else?
rochey6957
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby DEFKON99 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:21 pm

rochey6957 wrote:would a flywheel from an m3 work on 318? do i need to change my flywheel in the swap?

what are the parts that need to be changed out during the swap.
pilot bearing
throwout bearing
what else?


On a 318 NO.

You do need to change the flywheel out from a manual car as it has the surface for the clutch disc to grip to.


for the Transmission you will need:

Transmission of course
flywheel
clutch disc
pressure plate
throw out bearing
fork
pilot bearing
transmission slave cylinder
Stainless steel clutch line would also be a good idea
white lithium grease to lube those moving parts and friction areas
it would also be a good idea to look into getting new bolts as the manual trans bolts differ from the auto.
and the shifter carrier which will snap in
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

Image
User avatar
DEFKON99
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4209
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:59 pm
Location: San Antonio

1993 BMW 3 Series

Re: DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby rochey6957 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:30 pm

DEFKON99 wrote:
On a 318 NO.

You do need to change the flywheel out from a manual car as it has the surface for the clutch disc to grip to.


for the Transmission you will need:

Transmission of course
flywheel
clutch disc
pressure plate
throw out bearing
fork
pilot bearing
transmission slave cylinder
Stainless steel clutch line would also be a good idea
white lithium grease to lube those moving parts and friction areas
it would also be a good idea to look into getting new bolts as the manual trans bolts differ from the auto.
and the shifter carrier which will snap in


ok so i would need to get a manual flywheel for an m42 motor. ic. I have a guy who im going to be buying a complete swap off of from a 96 m3 coupe. hes selling me the trans, flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, fork, clutch bearing all the lines, pedals, driveshaft, shifter assembly, and the trans cross member.

so what i will need to get now are: m42 manual flywheel, new pilot bearing, manual trans bolts, and throwout bearing. Maybe a m42 clutch and "bitch clip?"

correct me if im wrong.
rochey6957
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby ivan413 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:39 pm

This is such a great right up man. I bought my conversion kit from zionsvilleautosport.com, comes with everything u need. I was just wondering if I would have to buy a 3.45 differential or would i be able to keep my differential out of my auto 318i (I believe its a 4.44)?
Last edited by ivan413 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-=1995 e36 318i=-
User avatar
ivan413
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby DEFKON99 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:36 pm

rochey6957 wrote:
DEFKON99 wrote:
On a 318 NO.

You do need to change the flywheel out from a manual car as it has the surface for the clutch disc to grip to.


for the Transmission you will need:

Transmission of course
flywheel
clutch disc
pressure plate
throw out bearing
fork
pilot bearing
transmission slave cylinder
Stainless steel clutch line would also be a good idea
white lithium grease to lube those moving parts and friction areas
it would also be a good idea to look into getting new bolts as the manual trans bolts differ from the auto.
and the shifter carrier which will snap in


ok so i would need to get a manual flywheel for an m42 motor. ic. I have a guy who im going to be buying a complete swap off of from a 96 m3 coupe. hes selling me the trans, flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, fork, clutch bearing all the lines, pedals, driveshaft, shifter assembly, and the trans cross member.

so what i will need to get now are: m42 manual flywheel, new pilot bearing, manual trans bolts, and throwout bearing. Maybe a m42 clutch and "bitch clip?"

correct me if im wrong.


yup , yup and yup
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

Image
User avatar
DEFKON99
Site Admin
 
Posts: 4209
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:59 pm
Location: San Antonio

1993 BMW 3 Series

Re: DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby Smcdermott326 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:32 am

For those experiencing DTC's (Check Engine Codes) from their car after a swap to a 5 speed, Active Autowerke's in Florida with reflash your ECU/DME to get your car to think it is a 5 speed instead of the previous automatic. This costs around $150 plus shipping both ways. I had to do this in order to pass emissions because in CT, it doesn't matter if the CEL is on or not, so long as you have DTC codes stored and the "MIL Commanded On" which is an indicator that says the Check Engine Light should be on, you are going to fail emissions.
Smcdermott326
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:41 am

Previous

Return to E36 Specific DIY's

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron