DIY:E36 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

This section holds all DIY's directly related to the e36 chassis. Everything from changing the oil on the m3 to swapping an s54 into your 325i.

Re: DIY: 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby Volfinator » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:55 pm

frost1288 wrote:how much different is it for a 318ti?

Not sure, but I'd guess not very much different as far as the mechanics of things go. The dis assembly of the interior might be where the greatest difference is. Mechanically, I think the biggest different with the hatchback is the rear subframe and suspension.
Volfinator

1995 Leopard

Postby thisizaremix » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:06 am

I just did this swap on my 96 328ic. I was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what wires to hook up to the clutch switch and where from the clutch switch do the wires go to let the clutch disingage the cruise control. Also, I have a transmission waring light on in my dash. Any remedy for this?

Also, my RPM's are hanging before dropping everytime I take my foot off of the clutch pedal. Has anyone else experienced this?
thisizaremix

1996 Armada

Postby Volfinator » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:38 pm

I've been trying to figure out exactly how to wire the cruise control as well.
Volfinator

1995 Leopard

Postby damien_ro » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:38 am

dude this is totally awesome. do youthink the same could be done to an automatic 99 323ic? i would love to have a manual in my car.
damien_ro

1999 Murano

Postby DEFKON99 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:19 am

Really the OBDII cars out there should really think about the problems which may arise when performing this swap.
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby Turbo Ready » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:02 pm

Hi Guys,

We just did an auto to five speed swap on my 92 325is coupe and it went without a glitch. I came across this well detailed thread while browsing, great contribution from the OP.

Comparing a few things which we did in our swap and this procedure, there are a few things we did differently, like using an 87 325is single mass flywheel which I lightened and e30 pressure plate for a little bit better acceleration.

One other procedure we did differently was the electrical connections and that we would like to add and share for future porjects. Since all the wires and power needed are already on the harness of the auto transmission connector and wiring harness, we used them simplifying the connections needed. This includes the connections for both the starter and reverse lights.

We took the connector on the transmission shifter side, cut out all of the connections leaving the pins only on the connector.
For the starter to work, find pins 5 and 7 on the transmission connector and solder a jumper wire between the two, thats it, car will start when you connect it to the transmission harness.

For the reverse lights, find the two pin connector which came on the auto, trace it and cut it close to the top of the harness as you can. Run the cut end up through the gearbox tunnel and up to the transmission harness. Strip about an inch of the insulation off and you will see the sheild and two wires. Cut the sheild off and solder one end of the remaining wires to pin 2 on the transmission connector and the other wire to pin 3 on the transmission connector.

Plug the connector to the transmission harness and your car will start and your reverse lights will turn on when you hit that nice shift lever to left and up.

We have to look into the cruise control wiring for the clutch switch and will post findings.

I took pics of what I did but unfortunately it seems as though I cant upload pics since I am a new member.

Good luck with your swaps.
Turbo Ready

Postby DEFKON99 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:09 am

Some questions i received from a member so i thought id share with the original thread.
I have a few question about the 5 speed swap.

1. Is it necessary to cut the wires the way you did to get the reverse
light and cruise control to work? Are there any wiring harnesses that can
be bought that is plug and play to get around the splicing?

It is necessary to Cut them since they don’t sell a converter but you can splice wires if you so wish since this is mainly custom. But don’t be afraid, if you ever want to revert for any reason which I doubt all you have to do is buy a new wiring harness.

2. I noticed your shifter was blue, can you tell me about it and the
benefits?

The Shifter was a B&M Short Shift kit which reduced the shifter throw by 30% making the shifter travel distance shorter.

3. If I'm going to attempt this in my driveway in the spring or summer
how high should I plan to get the car in the air? If I'm planning to use 4
jack stands, how many notices can I raise them to get the clearance needed?

Depending upon the stands you have I recommend the heavy duty since it can get scary as shit when you’re up in there. You want to get the car as high as you can safely.

4. Most important, once you finished the swap did you have to go to the
dealer to get them to reprogram your transmission or did you buy a
programmer or something like a shark injector?

No programming whatsoever I thought the same thing and was skeptical at first. But on 95 and below you should be fine.

5. Are there any preventive maintenance things I should do while the
transmission and LSD is out of the car? I read on here where bolts can back
out inside the LSD, so should I remove the cover and put lock tight on each
bolt?

If you are changing out your differential it would be a good idea to look into getting those bolt tied down.
This thread can help. total-fail-4357.html

6. Where do I get a Steel Braided Clutch Line for the slave cylinder and
are the expensive?

The steel line in the photo was purchased from UUC Motorwerks. And they are about $29.00 http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/ss_clutch_lines/
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

DIY: 325i Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

Postby Bugsy969 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:08 am

Heeey Defkon.... :eatpop ( just reading up your DIY [Nice Job btw])

So i'm halfway through the swap... well.... mostly done.. I'm doing it to a 04/91 325i E36 i imported from Japan a while back...
Had one of those stupid Jatco Tranny's in it.... it went into limp mode, and no one knew how to diagnose it or had any wiring diagrams to even start to try to figure out what was wrong...

(btw thanks for the heads up on the Torx Bolts.. i was gonna mount the tranny tomorrow lol i'm picking them up tomorrow now)

I didn't really think of reading up much on a DIY before doing this... I could figure out the mechanics pretty easy.. but it's the the whole wiring i'm curious about..... It doesn't have Cruise control, so i'm not worried about that.... and with your pictures i can probably figure out the ground out #5/#7 ( which i don't really understand what for :? is that to ground out the Tranny DME or for Cruise Control..... i'm trying to Ground out the DME.... ) and for the Reverse lights....i only can see a 3 Prong plug off the tranny wiring hanging under the car... is there a 2 prong somewhere up the line? or did you have to go pick one up... or re-amp it and kinda make your own Home brew hahaha.
(and if there's any other surprises i should know about before Snapping in the Tranny/ drive shaft/ heatsheild/ and put the Interior back together)

Thanks in advance Bud :wink:
Bugsy969

1991 Fairlady

Postby Firefox » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:51 pm

Hey Defkon99,

I recently did this conversion on my '97 323i, running great, the only issue I have is that the clutch engagement level is too low. I have to be pushing it through the floor and it's stressing out my foot!
My question is what is the correct way to adjust the height with the master cylinder on the pedal?
I tried doing it once before but the push rod doesn't move. It just turns and there is no ajustment.
Need some help on this, it's in a difficult position and I don't want to break anything.

Thanks.
Firefox.
Firefox

1997 Presage

Postby Firefox » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:18 pm

Need to know how to eliminate the transmission failure indicator light in the instrument cluster. No more transmission but light still there reminding you of old transmission problems!
Firefox

1997 Presage

Postby DEFKON99 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:36 pm

Firefox wrote:Hey Defkon99,

I recently did this conversion on my '97 323i, running great, the only issue I have is that the clutch engagement level is too low. I have to be pushing it through the floor and it's stressing out my foot!
My question is what is the correct way to adjust the height with the master cylinder on the pedal?
I tried doing it once before but the push rod doesn't move. It just turns and there is no ajustment.
Need some help on this, it's in a difficult position and I don't want to break anything.

Thanks.
Firefox.

sounds like the system is not filled with fluid try bleeding the system but this time Fill the reservoir, pull out the slave cylinder, open the bleed screw and sqeeze the rod all the way down then close the bleed screw and slowly let out the rod while making sure the reservoir is full ( have a friend help).

Firefox wrote:Need to know how to eliminate the transmission failure indicator light in the instrument cluster. No more transmission but light still there reminding you of old transmission problems!

your 97 is will have this issue i have heard the easiest way to fix this is pop out the bulb, or take it to the dealer so they can reflash you ECu

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby thisizaremix » Sun May 23, 2010 12:45 pm

DEFKON99 wrote:Really the OBDII cars out there should really think about the problems which may arise when performing this swap.

Actually it is very easy to get rid of the CEL and pass emissions as there is a fix for the OBD2 cars now without having to get your ECU reflashed. The fix for this is now posted at http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79886&page=101
thisizaremix

1996 Armada

Postby mnc2fan » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:45 pm

I tried downloading the parts list, but the site says it's no longer available. And also on the '95 an older cars, the car should behave the way it is supposed to, as in not holding the RPM's, right?

I'm going to be helping do this swap on a friends '92 325i.
mnc2fan

Postby DEFKON99 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:08 pm

mnc2fan wrote:I tried downloading the parts list, but the site says it's no longer available. And also on the '95 an older cars, the car should behave the way it is supposed to, as in not holding the RPM's, right?

I'm going to be helping do this swap on a friends '92 325i.

yup you should be good to go!

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby kennet k » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:43 pm

Hello. the brown in position 7 to the black yellow. it just get together with the black yellow?. or we cut it over and collect it from the ignition-lock? or is there another place it can be assembled?

Kennet k :D
kennet k

PreviousNext

Return to E36 Specific DIY's