DIY: Front Control Arms, Bushings, and Tie Rods

This section holds all DIY's directly related to the e36 chassis. Everything from changing the oil on the m3 to swapping an s54 into your 325i.

Re: DIY: Front Control Arms, Bushings, and Tie Rods

Postby fordrule » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:59 pm

does anyone have a picture of the orientation of the offset of the M3 bushings are supposed to be set at? I just recieved the suspension in the mail and going to be heading out to install them tomorrow..hopefully..
fordrule

Postby Caligula » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:25 pm

The 95 M3 offset bushings should have the hole aligned towards the handle of the lollipop. Where the bolts go through. Depending on what bushing youre using, there may be a front and back.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby fordrule » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:53 pm

i got all the suspension on.thanks this how to helped. Just got to get it aligned now.
fordrule

DIY: Front Control Arms, Bushings, and Tie Rods

Postby SnowflakeTi » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:02 am

Great writeup! Very clearly explained! About how much did it cost you for this overhaul?
SnowflakeTi

1996 Liberty

Postby Flotsam » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:25 am

Great writeup! Perhaps the best detailed and definitive description anywhere on the internet. Especially the diagrams with the bolt sizes and torque values. Indispensable

I did everything described here plus my front struts and i must say the hardest thing I ran into was getting the springs compressed onto the new struts.

The only question I would bring up was over whether it was better to remove the front crossmember that the LCA bolts into? I didn't do it that way but followed the procedure here, but on someone else's description they suggest it as all the bolts for the crossmember are readily visible, there are only 4 bolts to remove and once that is down either removing the ball joint that bolts into the crossmember or torquing it when you put it back is a piece of cake. I suppose with impact tools (which i acquired to do this job) it is not a big deal. UPDATE Let me find the procedure where they recommend to do that. I was just reading the Bentley on this and they say first of all if you drop the subframe you need to have engine support from above and that removing this will dramatically change the alignment which I guess is not such a big thing if you are doing all this other stuff (LCA, struts etc) you will definitely need an alignment anyway.

thanks for a great contribution to the DIY community.
Flotsam

Postby Flotsam » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:33 pm

This was the video where they drop the subframe. Amazingly i don't see the engine being supported which is what the Bentley recommends. thoughts?
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TeFE_BmIEE&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLCA7384432F910683[/youtube] the video embedding is not working right or I am doing something wrong here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TeFE_BmIEE&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLCA7384432F910683
Flotsam

Previous

Return to E36 Specific DIY's