DIY: Front Wheel Hub Replacement

This section holds all DIY's directly related to the e36 chassis. Everything from changing the oil on the m3 to swapping an s54 into your 325i.

Re: DIY: Front Wheel Hub Replacement

Postby loonibab///m3 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:25 pm

hey r u sure it isn't a 36mm socket?
sirius680 (Caligula): ok, how the hell do i bump a e36tech thread with a e36tech logo in my sig WITHOUT looking suspicious
loonibab///m3

1997 Almera

Postby Elric the Crimson » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:11 am

Dude, this is exactly what i have been looking for!!! I have been looking for something like this for about 6 months. Excellent DIY!!! Very Much appreciated
Elric the Crimson

1998 Pintara

Postby Caligula » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:38 pm

Thats what we do! Post up any other questions you may have. :)
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby 5liter » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:57 am

Very well done article. I now have no fear about replacing mine when the time comes. Thank you for taking the time to post pictures and walk through the process.

Rodney
96 328is automatic, 88 5.0 SSP coupe, 90 5.0 LX
5liter

1996 510

Postby DEFKON99 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:52 am

Mike you should seriously consider writing a book ;)
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby 99MPower » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:20 am

loonibab///m3 wrote:hey r u sure it isn't a 36mm socket?

thats for the rear axle nut....
99MPower

1999 BMW 280ZX

Postby Japan323 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:36 am

Great as usual from a patient and talented mechanic...

I think I'm doing this soon...hearing noises I thought were tires, but still too new, only about 3k miles on these Yokohama S drives (not the quietest around )..the roar is present even at slow speeds..winter now,,rolled down the windows and I think it's from up front...

1. more likely for front bearings than rears to fail first?
2. about how long do you think it took you per side? 2hrs?...I'm a newbie, but I've recently completed a 4 wheel pads and rotors on my 323...and completed a LCA install + Powerflex bushings...and an X brace...like doing it myself and keeping busy under the car..makes driving it a more enjoyable experience.
3. My front tires are still "movable" from left to right when I grab them at 9 and 3 o'clock posit...did improve since the LCA swap..like lug nuts are loose,,but I checked...any chance this is from tie rods and not bearings?
4. I've got all the gear for tie rod ends too...any chance the noise is there? ought to do that one first and get a new alignment or do the bearings, b/c that's where the noise originates ?
Thanks all for taking the time to share your experience.
Mark

98 EURO 323i ARCTIC SILVER M68's on Yokohama S-drives
---gone to Heaven----
Japan323

1998 BMW

Postby Japan323 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:54 am

Great post--just ordered all the parts from Pelican--FAG brand hub was about $10 more than BavAutoand Turner's no -name branded stuff...Picked up new caps and dust collar and collar nut too.....$252.

Q1- Both sides, about how many hours? guessing about 2 per side for a newbie like me..(pads/rotors/LCAs level of skill)
Q2- Any tips to increase the odds the hub comes off like yours? ...WD40, PB blaster, ..
Q3- I still have wheel movement side to side even after installing new Lemforder LCAs and Powerflex bushings...so...
I'm sold that it's the bearing...and the road noise has picked up too...but these Yokohama S-Drives are not know for being a quite tire...if it wasn't for the tire shaking while on the rack, I'd think it was solely the tires...
Q4. New Lemforder tie rods ready too...but if this fixes it they will go on with the new shocks and springs and 1 re-alignment.
Q5-IS the fronts much more likely to wear than the rears? or shouldI consider both as possible noisemakers?
Q6-Previous DIY was Brembo rotors and Akebono Euro ceramics...a little less braking power than OEM-but NO DUST!
Does anyone else notice the rotor noise under brakeing is louder OR is that my bearings under stress?

Thanks for reading and I'd appreciate any other tips or lessons learned.
Mark

---gone to Heaven----
Japan323

1998 BMW

Postby Caligula » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:56 pm

First question, totally depends on experience. At the time i spent all day on it, now i could probably do it in an hour.

The way the hub comes off is going to depend on how bad the bearing is and how you choose to remove it. Using a slide hammer motion will probably make the bearing split. Using a jaw puller or a hub removal tool, which pulls from behind, will probably yield better results. Its not hard to cut through the inner race if it separates. Ive never found stuff like PB blaster useful for getting seized fasteners off, the fluid never penetrates enough without some movement on the part.

That wheel movement is very bad. If it is literally a side to side motion, it may be a weaering of the control arm ball joints and bushings. If its more like a wiggle on the rotational plane of motion, thats a steering rack and tie rod issue.

The only reason i replaced my hub was because the hub was stripped. I also did a rear bearing recently only because i already had the trailing arm off. Youll know if they are going bad from squealing or grinding sounds coming from the wheel. These bearings are well built and will only go out once in the cars lifetime.

Rotor noise has little to do with your bearings. The rotors being compressed between the calipers will usually hide for a moment any bearing issues. Only a really bad bearing would transmit through the brakes.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby siva » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:10 pm

Hey...!
Excellent post, great visuals, simple language for starters like me. Got mine done for my 03 z4 for under $200 including tools like impact hammer driver, jaw puller etc. The hub cost was only $70, thats where I think i made a mistake, must have bought a genuine one from bmw. After instal, the wheel spins with some resistance, hope it would go away after some driving. But the grinding awkward noise is gone!!
siva

Postby Japan323 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:00 am

Just finished up the RIGHT side, spent about 2.5 hrs to fight through a couple of issues...here's my tip:

1. Buy the rear dust collar, part #31211136466 .. REASON: It's cheap insurance in case the full hub doesn't come off like Mike's and you are left with a split race (like mine). You could try a Dremmel..or
If you have the back up tin cup collar, you can flare out the old one so the 3 arm puller can get very good grip on the rear of the remaining race that is stuck on the spindle...you might be able to pull off the race and save the dust cover, but my puller didn't allow..

2. If you flatten two edges of the soft dust cover with a chisle and fit the 3 arm puller, flare it forward a little and use a small vice grip to pull it off the spindle....no reason to send to the stealer,,,if you can do brakes or LCA, this is easy.

---gone to Heaven----
Japan323

1998 BMW

Postby Japan323 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:35 am

Just finished the LEFT side bearing..used FAG brand from Pelican....amazed on how easy the other side was after the lessons of Friday...new twist on removal this time....still no good luck like Mike's post, but the bearing race split again, leaving the inner collar on the spindle and the hub and bearing attached to the rotor this time , instead of separating cleanly like it did on Friday...no big deal...a simple tap with a small hammer on center pushed it through and it parted from the rotor without drama..tip: use two small pieces of wood to make a bridge to lift the rotor, assisting in the race push through.

Again, I flared the rear race cap and it allowed the 3 arm puller to get a good grip...the remainder of the race came off the spindle in 1 minute...
Used a chisel and hammer again to make a lip to grab with the vice grips and the spindle was clear and ready for new hub install in another minute...my head was spinning on how less complicated it was the second time.

Lube up the spindle and tapped on the new hub..tighten it down , button it up, but the calipers back on and mount the wheel...DONE SON...drop me a line if you have questions...you can do it...
Japan323

1998 BMW

Postby Caligula » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:03 am

Dont feel so bad, every other thing ive tried to fix on my car has taken 10x longer then it should, lol. Never though of sacrificing the rear collar to get a grip on the race, good idea considering its so cheap to replace.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby mochara » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:18 am

i have a 1996 e36 318i and im getting a creeking clicking sound when i put it onto full lock,can anyone please confirm that this is most likely the hub bearing banjaxed please....thankyou everyone..pól from ireland here
mochara

Postby DEFKON99 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:16 pm

mochara wrote:i have a 1996 e36 318i and im getting a creeking clicking sound when i put it onto full lock,can anyone please confirm that this is most likely the hub bearing banjaxed please....thankyou everyone..pól from ireland here

best way to find out of its bearings is to raise the wheel and see if it wobbles
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

PreviousNext

Return to E36 Specific DIY's