BMW 325i 328i M3 E36 DOOR HANDLE FIX, Replace, DIY!

This section holds all DIY's directly related to the e36 chassis. Everything from changing the oil on the m3 to swapping an s54 into your 325i.

BMW 325i 328i M3 E36 DOOR HANDLE FIX, Replace, DIY!

Postby DEFKON99 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:55 pm

BMW E36 325, 328, M3 Door Handle Replacement
Tools used
Common Screwdrivers
Torx Bit
Needle Nose Pliers
Trim Panel Tools
Common Hammer
Thick Roll of Tape
10mm ¼”socket and ratchet
Small Allen wrenches

1. Start off by removing the small black molded covers behind the handle on the door panel. You will need the Torx bits for this.
a. Now unscrew the door lock button to begin removing the door panel clips (51411973500) with the trim panel tools. Lift up to clear the lock button when removing.
b. Once removed you will need to peel back the foam backing to gain access.
c.
1C.jpg
1C.jpg (106.6 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

2. Remove the rubber window seal. Lift the metal tabs but don’t bend them.
a.
2a.jpg
2a.jpg (62.15 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

b.
2b.jpg
2b.jpg (134.89 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

3. Raise the window just enough to gain access to the window regulator locking clips and be careful not to damage the plastic regulators. Use your needle nose pliers and remove the clips. Now pop regulator arms free with a screwdriver from the plastic parts and slide them over a bit.
a.
3a.jpg
3a.jpg (108.37 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

4. Lift the window now put doesn’t pull it all the way out. Secure it with some masking tape to hold it up or have a friend hold it while you work, you can also try wedging it in there but I would recommend trying to secure it from falling in a breaking. Remove the door lock connector in yellow as well.
a.
4a.jpg
4a.jpg (143.92 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

b.
4b.jpg
4b.jpg (83.82 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

5. Next Remove the Black plastic Cover located on the inner side of the door. Once removed you will see a goldish in color type piece of metal inside. Use a screwdriver to push this in. This will release the plastic cover on the outside door handle. Pushing the cover in helps it slide easier.
a.
5a.jpg
5a.jpg (70.42 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

b.
5b.jpg
5b.jpg (139.83 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

6. Get to the inner side of the door there will be either a 10mm nut or a slide on locking clip. Remove it. Also remove the ring around the locking mechanism. User screwdriver to remove this ring unless you have the tool, just don’t scratch the paint.
a.
6a.jpg
6a.jpg (153.68 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

7. Once loose and your window is out of the way, you’re going to need to do some wiggling and pulling just watch out for the metal wire hook. It’s best to remove this from the handle instead of the actual door; you’ll see what I mean.
a. Once removed you will need to remove a small pin holding the key lock in place. I used a small Allen wrench and tapped it out, it could be a bit stuck a little WD-40 OR PB Blaster works well. Pliers also help when you got enough bite.
b.
7b.jpg
7b.jpg (110.31 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

c.
7c.jpg
7c.jpg (158.84 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

8. Now that the pin is out push on the center and the lock mechanism should come right out careful not to let anything fall out of the locking mechanism. Watch out for the small metal rod that will come out with it too.
a. Remove the cover with the spring going through it you don’t need to remove the lower spring.
b. Now when installing your locking mechanism just get your car key and stick it in there don’t worry it only goes in one way. This will make installed much easier.
c.
8c.jpg
8c.jpg (83.26 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

d. Be sure to put the small metal rod type thing back in place there will be a slot for it on the back just drop it in.
e.
8e.jpg
8e.jpg (72.03 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

9. A good thing to do is to start tapping in the locking pin before you start to reassemble the lock it will be easier than trying to hold everything together while tapping it in. I used a tool from my drill which worked out quite well.
a.
9a.jpg
9a.jpg (106.63 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

10. Now install the new handle and when installing don’t forget the latch mechanism circled in photo below, as well as the hook which can be installed at end. Be sure to throw on the locking ring and the 10mm nut or slide locking clip. Throw on the door handle plastic cover making sure the goldish slider in set in. Check out removal pics in 5a of this guide if you need to.
a.Image
11. Now when putting the window back on be sure you have everything on track.
a. When installing the window regulators bring the window down and slide the regulators in place and they will pop in place. Then lock um down. And test the window to make sure it’s working properly.
b.
11b.jpg
11b.jpg (108.33 KiB) Viewed 13406 times

12. Throw everything back on. Once again another great job while keeping it on the cheap!

Click here to download this file as a PDF
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wwltj321m ... %20325.pdf

Feel Free to contact me if you need any info or help.
Rudy Bernal
AKA
DEFKON99
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Re: E36 DOOR HANDLE REPLACEMENT !With Plenty of Photos!

Postby e36mpwr » Sat May 08, 2010 10:55 pm

Awesome write-up!! Thanks!

I need to get a new one on the driver side!
e36mpwr

Re: E36 DOOR HANDLE REPLACEMENT !With Plenty of Photos!

Postby DEFKON99 » Sat May 08, 2010 11:23 pm

e36mpwr wrote:Awesome write-up!! Thanks!

I need to get a new one on the driver side!

yup that was my problem for over 6 months, kept having to get in through the passengers side.

! best thing to do is go to a salvage yard and remove one from around the same year as your own so you can get some early practice and not worry about f-ing anything up. :D
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Return to E36 Specific DIY's