Few pics from a coilover install

Want someplace to tell about all the plastic parts you broke doing your interior swap? Or what about the pics of your foot after you dropped your transmission on it? Post up the epic project threads here from all the days you've spent working on your E36.

Postby Caligula » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:59 am

Last weekend a friend and I installed a set of very.... low priced Raceland coilovers on his 325. Installation for the most part was straight forward. We had to grind down the inner edge of the rear springs to get them to fit over the height adjusters. Had to bend a few mounting brackets into place. Also it concerned me that the threads at the top of the strut shaft, were a size smaller then a standard E36 shaft. As you can see hes using a set of Vorshlag camber plates that came off my M3. Without the nut torqued in place there was a small amount of side to side motion allowed between the shaft and bearing, though it did not seem enough to be of an issue.

Another oddity was the large amount of threading on the strut body. Before we installed these, i move the spring perches up exactly 1.5in from the bottom thread for the initial setup. As you can see in the pics, the car was absolutely slammed when it was lowered, it i had left the spring perch at the bottom, the car would have been resting on the tire surface. We ended up raising it so the the perches were about 3.5in from the bottom thread.

As you can see, the RSM popped the first time we took it out, lol. This is why you buy aftermarket shock mounts.

Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Re: Few pics from a coilover install

Postby DEFKON99 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:03 pm

so how much and well how was the ride ? How would you rate it, dont lie to me now.
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby Caligula » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:15 am

For now ill just tell you the entire setup, minus my camber plates....$240
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby joshm38 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:31 am

your rsm setup is wrong to begin with that's why it failed I had the same problem the golden metal pieces are supposed to be upside down look on realoem.com and see there diagram or call the dealer.
joshm38

Postby Caligula » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:10 am

joshm38 wrote:your rsm setup is wrong to begin with that's why it failed I had the same problem the golden metal pieces are supposed to be upside down look on realoem.com and see there diagram or call the dealer.

I know. Thats why this is the project car and not my M3.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby crookc » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:34 pm

Just a note on the slammed part, the wheel arches have been flared out and have no straight edges so it’s even lower than normal. This car is a project car and we are in the process of putting in front and rear jack points. Lots of fun and poor Caligula has fits about the things I do to the car LOL.

As for the ride and handling, the car is working out well, no leaks on the shocks etc. We will be taking it to Auto cross track at some point in its life, and when that happens we will really see how the suspension works out.
crookc

Postby DEFKON99 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:07 pm

yeh and what the heck happened with that rear shock mount? What kind were those ?
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby crookc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:16 pm

LOL yes that also happens when you do not put the parts in right and make sure that the nuts are tighten up.
The mounts are std
crookc

Postby svilgg » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:59 pm

you have mounted the rear spring reverse
the nut must be upside , cause everytime you want to lower or upper your car , u must reinstall the spring
svilgg

Return to Member Projects