Just your average 95 M3 build...

Want someplace to tell about all the plastic parts you broke doing your interior swap? Or what about the pics of your foot after you dropped your transmission on it? Post up the epic project threads here from all the days you've spent working on your E36.

Re: Just your average 95 M3 build...

Postby Pzary3233 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:58 pm

Yeah, it's not a bad deal to be honest, though she was not thrilled when she found it. She grew up around gear heads so it's all good.
Pzary3233

1995 Leopard

Postby Pzary3233 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:28 pm

Today was a great day for working on the car, not a whole lot of heat and enough air flow through the shop to make it quite enjoyable.

To start off with I pulled the fuel pump carrier and return line carrier to see what the story was.

The blue one is the fuel pump obviously and the white one is the return.

I started with the fuel pump carrier

Here is a look at the under side of the pump, notice where the line comes through the housing.

Then I drilled a ½” hole through the housing to fit the bulkhead fitting.

The finished product

I should really have used straight bulkhead fittings and then used a 90 degree swivel…

After I worked on the fuel pump carrier and realized that I needed to by some new fittings I move on to the pumbing of the hard lines. I bought a tubing bender which I used on the 90 degree bends but otherwise was useless…

First off, the vette Filter/FPR fits VERY well in the stock filter location, I just swapped the bracket around and turned the assembly so it fit my needs.

I will make an aluminum skid plate for the filter a bit later. The plastic stock piece was torn to shreads, otherwise it would have worked well.

Then I started running the hardline.

I started with the rear part of the hard line. I decided to stick with the OEM routing of the lines. If I had to do it again I would drop the tank all the way down and run the hardline up to the drivers side inspection port. I may do that if I get bored sometime.

90 degree bend going up to the fuel tank

Both lines run all the way to the Filter/FPR

Then I worked on making the flex lines for both the feed and the return. I made them a good bit longer since I cannot work on the lines in their final place, the hard line must be loose from the car in order for me to access the fittings.

It’s a tight fit!!

Here’s a few more shots of the hoses:

All of that work done today to just replace these simple lines:

More to come!
Pzary3233

1995 Leopard

Postby Pzary3233 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:52 pm

I didn't post much info on the Bulkhead stuff. mainly because I ordered some of the wrong fittings which I need to grab on Tuesday when places open back up.

My idea will work, and work well. I am not going to use epoxy etc. the bulkhead fittings make it so that simple silacone sealant should be all that is needed.

Instead of the 90 degree fittings I should have gotten straight and then a 90 degree hose end.

That would have been the much easier approach... had I just looked at it a little more closely....

Hopefully one of the speedshops in town will be open on monday so I can get this thing buttoned up and have one less thing to worry about.

Also while I am in a posting mood, here are some random shots of the interior... rarely does it ever get shown.

The seats are going to have to be "restored" somehow...

My favorite part of the whole dash, found that in England, and paid more in shipping to get it here then for the cluster it's self! I'm going to make the oil temp work too!
Pzary3233

1995 Leopard

Postby DEFKON99 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:56 pm

woah sick build man!!! Mad Props to you!!
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby Pzary3233 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:01 pm

Thank you! I'm very excited to see what is to come!
Pzary3233

1995 Leopard

Postby DEFKON99 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:20 pm

Pzary3233 wrote:Thank you! I'm very excited to see what is to come!

im sure we all are as well!! keep it up and watch the nads... dont want to lose um in the process!!
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby WerewolfCustoms » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:07 am

Huh... the topic title is... ummm...
AVERAGE !?
:uplaugh

Massive respect man!

Here in EU - I can only dream about that V8!

Love the work on the fuel lines! After looking at your work, for an hour or two, it made me go out and buy some nice braided fuel lines for my upcoming project. :)

So, keep up the great work, and keep us updated! :)
:eatpop
WerewolfCustoms

1996 Hardbody Truck

Postby bellofello » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:15 pm

awesome build. I can't wait to start my LS7 E36. Good info throughout the thread. Rock on man
-1997 BMW 318is
-1992 Chevy silverado, 6.5 turbo diesel, reg cab, short box
-1999 Audi A4 2.8 quattro
bellofello

1997 Hardbody Truck

Postby Adam » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:59 am

Awesome work, man. Keep it up!
Braking wastes momentum.
Adam

1997 Figaro

Postby Pzary3233 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:56 am

Thanks guys!

Here's some more...

Got in my EV 1 style injectors to replace the flex fuel injectors...

Went to the shop saturday morning to work on the car. I only had a few little things to work on before I need more parts... ie LS6 intake and LS1 parts intake, PCM reprogrammed etc.

I worked on the fuel pump and return hangers today so that I could button up my fuel system. I got them both ready to go!!! I will let the pictures do the talking.

Parts ready to go...

Fuel pump and return hangers have already had the holes drilled...

Straight bulkhead fitting the 90 Degree fittings will not fit...

Straight bulkhead fitting mocked up

View from the top

Final install using Permatex Black

Test fit of the return - used a union and threaded the hanger.

Under side where the return lines attach to the Hanger

Installed with Permatex Black

After I finished up the hanger assemblies I went to put the 90 degree earls fittings on the hose which originally had russell fittings... I HATE Earls fittings... They are much harder to install then the Russell fittings. I will be sticking with Russell from now on. So off to order more fittings... bummer!

I mocked up the oil cooler block and took some good pictures so everyone can get a good idea of what is going on with it. Header clearance MAY prove to be an issue so we'll cross that bridge when it comes.

"Oil Cooler Block and lines from a Vortec 5.3

Comparison between the block off plate and cooler block

Mocked up on the 6.0 Block... POSSIBLE header clearance issues

I also got a nifty little part from Speedway motors that screws into where the oil level sensor originally went. This fitting has an 1/8" threaded hole in it for an oil temp sensor. Awesome! One less thing to have to try to adapt.

Great idea for an oil temp sensor!

Once done with those small little things I worked on removing the MB Quart crossovers from the glovebox and hiding them inside the dash.

Just laying in the hole for now, they will be properly mounted soon...

When tuning the PCM one needs an OBD II port to connect... So to make it a clean install I found a great place to connect it.  With a little bit of trimming the OBD II Connector will look factory in that location. Not to mention I can use the ground and power wires from the flash light plug!

The flash light plug hole makes the perfect spot for the OBD II port!

From there it was just cleaning up and watching some other guys at the shop put a 4.3 V6 into a Jeep TJ Wrangler. My intakes should be here this week! Awesome!
Pzary3233

1995 Leopard

Postby Pzary3233 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:54 pm

After a sketchy deal that fell through on eBay I located one through work for 100 bucks. I couldn't believe the price so I called and asked them about the intake, one day later it's here!

LS6 Intake

It came with some sensors that I am not sure of what they are... seems like they are all vacuum related.

Not sure what this sensor is...

The other sensor I am not sure about...

Money Shot

Anyone have a clue on the sensors? I am not aware of needing them..........?
Pzary3233

1995 Leopard

Postby bellofello » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:59 am

The second one kind of looks like an EVAP solenoids to me... Not sure about the first one.
-1997 BMW 318is
-1992 Chevy silverado, 6.5 turbo diesel, reg cab, short box
-1999 Audi A4 2.8 quattro
bellofello

1997 Hardbody Truck

Postby Pzary3233 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:09 am

Yes the second one is the EVAP thanks to BF.c

The first one is going away too...

There is a guy that is trying to keep everything OBD II compliant in his e36, going to send them off to him.
Pzary3233

1995 Leopard

Postby Pzary3233 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:39 am

Poop, it has NOT been a very productive week/weekend. Went to the Ozarks for some canoeing and relaxing in the middle of nowhere. Good times!

Next weekend doesn't look like I'll be getting any work done either, going to OKC with a friend to grab a vehicle.

Alas, I do have an update of sorts though. More tech then anything.

So cooling fans are something that I need to give some thought to...

The Stocker BMW fan is long gone, nor do I think that the wiring for it actually was ever working correctly... so Alas, it went bye bye a while back.

So after a little searching I found some great info about dual speed fans. Fords, Volvos, and other all have these dual speed fans as well as the oem e36.

Now how to control this fan? Volvo made a very simple and elegant way to control the fans:

Volvo 2 Speed Fan Relay: 9442933
9442933 Cooling Fan Relay (2 speed),
for 740 92 and newer, 940/960 92 and newer, 850 all.
Genuine Volvo part (made by Stribel)
Old PN 3523872

Now that there is a two speed fan relay, I need the coolant temp sensor

Coolant Temp Sensor from a VW or Audi

clokker on http://www.rx7club.com has some insight to the Coolant fan switch:

This switch poses the biggest obstacle to overcome during installation.
It's big- 22mm/1.5 thread- and simply won't fit in many of the preferred places (like the waterpump housing).
I'm using a rad hose adapter from AutoMeter which is intended to house a gauge sender but this required boring out and retapping the hole to accept the new switch. Since I didn't know anyone with such a large metric tap, I had to buy one. Fortunately, it was cheaper than I'd feared- only $18- and I figured it was worth the money.
I'll probably never use it again...
VW and Audi mount this switch on a bung in the rad endtank which would be a great location if you can have one fabbed in.
I have a replacement (all metal) stock rad and didn't feel it was worth the effort to mod it as I hope to replace the rad soon anyway.
Either way will work, so do as you will.

About the thermoswitch connector...
I was able to find 5 correct connectors in the junkyard in no time at all.
However...Audi apparently uses the switch as a ground point while VW must use it as a power point because the wire gauge is much different.
Audi uses very light gauge wire and they were all damaged to some extent (most had been spliced) while the VW part had heavier wire that was in good shape.
I'm using the VW connector just to have better wire to work with even though it's only carrying a ground signal.
Again, do as you will...the Audi connector- and wire gauge- will be fine if you can find one in good condition.

The volvo relay needs to be wired in like this:

Thanks to Clokker for the schematic!

Now that the wiring is all figured out all I need to do is tweek the fan kick in temp and then find a 2 speed fan that works well with the BMW.

I know, the PCM can control the fans, but I feel this is a better way to work it. Maybe have the PCM control the fans in conjunction with the Volvo Relay.

Most of my information on this wiring came from this thread thanks to Clokker

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=839089

and

http://www.davebarton.com/ElectricCoolingFans.html

As always you can catch the action on my blog www.lsxe36m3.com
Pzary3233

1995 Leopard

Postby Pzary3233 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:02 pm

Great weekend, nothing bmw related other then talking about them...
Robert's SC's new Friend

Gotta start out with a parking violation - Steven's legally parked Benz

3 guys in a Festiva... we got some looks.... NOT from hot girls

Sketchville Motel... Fleas and all...

Indian Nation

Gas Station without gas... but an ATM!

Robert and his new toy

OUch... first tank of gas...

We stopped at Cracker Barrel and had a very interesting lunch... Steven eating the leftovers with a... Pretzel.

Gotta get some Chicken

Fort Smith seems like a pretty cool place

Got to the fire road

All Safari like

First Camping spot we bypassed

Set up camp in the dark so the next morning...

The forest road got worse as the morning went on

We decided to play and try out the OEM lockers

Poser flex shots

Then the only way to end the trip well we find this sign as we exit the forest...

FINALLY Got some work done on the car...

Nothing exciting, just got my EV1 style injector connectors on the harness and started to plan out how this whole wiring thing is going to work. It seems as though the Truck harness is NOT going to be long enough in many areas, so I will be lengthening and shortening the harness to make it a custom fit. This sucks!

I also just realized that a guy I work with builds headers for race cars on the side... so we'll have to investigate that further. AWESOME!
Pzary3233

1995 Leopard

PreviousNext

Return to Member Projects