Need help with brake project

Want someplace to tell about all the plastic parts you broke doing your interior swap? Or what about the pics of your foot after you dropped your transmission on it? Post up the epic project threads here from all the days you've spent working on your E36.

Postby JayMac » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:56 pm

I have a thread going on a brake project I am playing with. Does anyone have access to a simple cad program. I am trying to put the largest rotor you can on an e36 non M and use the the existing caliper, carrier and 16 inch wheels. I need to get a drawing made. I have a rough drawing not to scale but you can get the idea. Appreciate the help if you are able to assist.
Jay
JayMac

Re: Need help with brake project

Postby DEFKON99 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:02 pm

have you tried http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/ there are measurements when drawing and or using shapes
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby Caligula » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:10 pm

On a Mac or PC?
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby JayMac » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:24 pm

If I remember correctly MAC is better but pc is more common. I do have a drawing that I free handed but I can't figure out how to post it. I saved it in pdf format. I thought I would start out with a 2d and cut some templates out of the same weight paper as manila folders. Is there a way to post a pdf on here. I did not find it when I searched.
JayMac

Postby JayMac » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:30 pm

Installing the google program now
JayMac

Postby JayMac » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:28 am

Can't quite get the hang of the program yet but I think I found a simple solution to get the actual drawing I need.

1. Strike an arc with a radius of 100mm. This represents the mount radius of the e36.
2. Measure across the arc striking point that are 122mm apart. This represents the mount holes on the carrier.
3. From the same center point, strike a second arc 1/2 the increase in desired diameter. This represents how far out you have to move the carrier with the new rotor.
4. Measure from your left hash on the inner arc to the outer arc. The distance must include at least the diameter of the hole you want to drill and enough metal to make it structural. Make a hash mark there
5. Measure across the arc striking point that are 122mm apart. This represents the mount holes on the carrier.
You now have the holes properly orientated for drilling so you can mock up cardboard templates and start fitment process.

The rust is starting to come off
JayMac

Return to Member Projects