The M328ic build

Want someplace to tell about all the plastic parts you broke doing your interior swap? Or what about the pics of your foot after you dropped your transmission on it? Post up the epic project threads here from all the days you've spent working on your E36.

The M328ic build

Postby Monolith » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:30 am

Against my better judgement, I recently purchased a full manual M3 drivetrain off of my room mate (who seems to be remarkably good at destroying e36 M3s) and have started converting my 96 328ic from 2.8 M52 automatic to 3.2L S52 manual with LSD. The motor has already been pulled and questions are already starting to pop up on putting it back together. Oh well, too late to turn back now, right?

A demonstration on how environmentally conscience people such as myself release R134a charges. Only the very most modern and advanced equipment was used, including fuel hose, garden hose, and an R134a charging adapter.

Front clip completely removed to allow the engine and transmission to slide out the front.

Three days, six men, two cases of beer, three jacks, an engine hoist and a crowbar later...
Fun tip for everybody pulling the motor out the front: the oil pan WILL catch on the steering column and the motor will wedge itself between the steering rack and the firewall. Apply jack to the transmission and crowbar to the oil pan to solve the problem!

My wonderful 2.8L M52 with its worthless GM slushbox. Kinda sad to see that motor go, but onwards and upwards to better things.

New wheels arrived! 18X8" with 20mm offset, so the fenders will have to be rolled. I can get away with it while there isn't any weight in the car though.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to wire the clutch pedal sensor and figure out why my clutch master cylinder hard line is going completely the wrong direction. Updates as they happen, wish me luck.
e36 328ic S52 Swap (in progress)
e46 330Ci
Kawasaki Ninja 636
Kawasaki Ninja EX250
Monolith

Re: The M328ic build

Postby DEFKON99 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:13 pm

haha! This SHould be Good!!
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby JFM325is » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:12 am

ohhhh looking forward to it! Good shit so far
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby Monolith » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:22 am

RIGHT THEN,

After losing a month of my life to my university, I'm back to building my car. Parts (Guibo, Hanger bearing, valve cover gasket) are on their way and should be here today. I must begin degreasing the new motor and engine bay.

HOWEVER, a couple of problems have been encountered. Any suggestions on these would not go unnoticed...

1: Sheered a bolt on my glorious M50 intake manifold. It is one of the 4 throttle body bolts and it is all sorts of stuck in there. It has a drillbit broken off in the bolt as well as a bolt extractor. I'm trying to figure out a workaround.
2: While removing the motor from the totaled M3, it would seem that the oxygen sensor wires (as well as some other wires identical to the O2 sensor wires) were ripped off. I have no idea which set goes to which bank of sensors.
3: Clutch pedal sensor? This was an automatic car and it does not have the wiring for that sensor and I'm pretty sure the car won't start if it's not hooked up. Ideas?
e46 330Ci
Kawasaki Ninja 636
Kawasaki Ninja EX250
Monolith

Postby Adam » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:46 pm

Very, very cool.

Sheared bolt: I just heard of a trick for breaking tight bolts, and this just might work for you. Heat the bolt then melt a birthday candle on it. Supposedly this will wick the thin, slick wax into the threads and it will come right out. I've never tried it, but if you're in a pinch it may be worth a try.

Did you check the Bentley manual for O2 sensor wire placement? Good luck.
Braking wastes momentum.
Adam

1997 Figaro

Postby Monolith » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:40 am

@ Adam:
Thanks for the tip, however I found a work around.

IT BEGIIIIIINS...

Sheered the firewall heater core connections, epoxy to the rescue right? Motor went in with hardly any fuss in the span of an afternoon.
More pictures to come, possibly running this week.
e46 330Ci
Kawasaki Ninja 636
Kawasaki Ninja EX250
Monolith

Postby Monolith » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:49 pm

Alright guys, the motor is in the car and everything is hooked up. There's just one little issue...

It turns over but won't start. According to my code reader, I've got a bunch of hippie-pleasers that aren't working (such as post-cat O_2 sensors and EVAP stuff) but the one that concerns me the most is the Crankshaft Position Sensor code. I don't think I'm getting fuel (although there is pressure to the rail) and I'm not sure if I'm getting spark, which would make me guess that the CPS is indeed malfunctioning. However, this motor was running perfectly fine before it was swapped and I wouldn't think the sensor would fail that quickly.

Ideas?
e46 330Ci
Kawasaki Ninja 636
Kawasaki Ninja EX250
Monolith

Postby st3althbeam328i » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:10 am

What code reader are you using? It would be best to use a "high dollar" OBD2 scan tool to diagnose the problem efficiently.
4/96 328i Sport Saloon OBD1 AlpinawiessIII My Build Blog! http://mbuild.blogspot.com/
st3althbeam328i

1996 BMW

Postby Monolith » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:16 pm

@st3althbeam328i: I use a Peake Research reader, which is a fun game to play considering you have to make sure you have your Peake Research BMW Code Table Manual & Song Book handy.

Turns out it was just spitting gibberish at me from when my room mate replaced the clutch ages ago. He replaced the flywheel and clutch and the crankshaft position sensor reads off of the flywheel, so it makes sense.

In other news, it runs. Turns out it was the Drive Away Protection in the M3 ECU that would not play ball with the key that was causing it to not start. SO, I have a Shark Injector and a 328 ECU that needs to become an M3 ECU. You kids have any ideas on how I could make that work, because I sure as hell don't want to tow the car over to the Stealership and pay them 120USD to plug up the car and press a button.

I'm also considering a set of these Raceland Coilovers as I do not want to pay 2000USD for a coilover kit. They look pretty legit, let me know what you think.

Now to fix the whole "Throwing a belt" problem and button the thing back up...
e46 330Ci
Kawasaki Ninja 636
Kawasaki Ninja EX250
Monolith

Postby Monolith » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:53 am

THE MARCH OF PROGRESS CONTINUES

Front clip and radiators installed. Next comes the fun part

Plastic, plastic everywhere!
Fan ducting, Aux fan and the grill put back on. It's starting to look like a car!
e46 330Ci
Kawasaki Ninja 636
Kawasaki Ninja EX250
Monolith

Postby st3althbeam328i » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:13 am

You would need the GT1 to get it tuned properly, and as far as the raceland coilovers I wouldn't recommend them, I would look for a KW coilover set, however everyone has their preference. I currently use Bilstein struts/shocks and H&R Race springs and love the setup however I am considering the KW V3 C/O set soon
4/96 328i Sport Saloon OBD1 AlpinawiessIII My Build Blog! http://mbuild.blogspot.com/
st3althbeam328i

1996 BMW

Postby Monolith » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:43 pm

@st3althbeam328i: I found a local shop who will do the drive-away protection sync for 90USD. I'm going to go ahead and take the hit because I'm tired of this sh*t.

A poorly conceived plan at wiring my clutch switch to work with my neutral safety/cruise control safety, as other people who aren't me want to drive this car.

IT LIVES
After finding a particularly huge vacuum leak, the car more or less drives and idles well. It's leaking coolant from... somewhere, and the clutch is spongy as hell, but it drives! I'm having a difficult time with the clutch, as my room mate installed an M5 clutch and a light weight flywheel before destroying the 98 M3 this motor came out of, so I'm not entirely sure what the clutch feel is supposed to feel like. It's nothing like My e46 330, that's for sure

Fender rolling commences tomorrow. Wish me luck.
e46 330Ci
Kawasaki Ninja 636
Kawasaki Ninja EX250
Monolith

Postby st3althbeam328i » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Nice! It maybe time for a new clutch kit, Sounds like the one in there has seen its last days. As for the coolant, do you know where the leak is coming from? Check all the rubber hoses.
st3althbeam328i

1996 BMW

Return to Member Projects