~ Purists Need Not Apply ~ tWeeKed's Version of a 325iS

Want someplace to tell about all the plastic parts you broke doing your interior swap? Or what about the pics of your foot after you dropped your transmission on it? Post up the epic project threads here from all the days you've spent working on your E36.

~ Purists Need Not Apply ~ tWeeKed's Version of a 325iS

Postby tWeeKed » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:11 pm

Well, I figured I would use this as my introduction/project diary. I've been posting most of my progress over on e30tech in my e30 thread and thought it should belong here ( even more so ) too. My first love of BMW's started with e30's and I have an on going project e30 as well. But I'm sure as any BMW enthusiast, my love for they're cars and performance has spread to different series as well.

This is my highway whore 325is. If you are ANY kind of purest and turn away now :twisted:

Since moving in with my girlfriend, I've taken over the garage and claimed it as my own lol.. My 1994 325iS now resides in this space. Over the last year or so I've started picking at the ol girl. My goal is to have something different but still have the coupes heritage. Quite awhile ago now I purchased a fibreglass M3 replica body kit. I also purchased the mirrors and had the double decker LTW wing ( Er.. at least that's what I think it is ). On a quest falling away from sanity I decided to do a Boser Hood conversion and a 5 inch cowl... It turned out wayyyyyy to over kill but such is life..Just gives me an excuse to pump up the horsepower once all the body work is done 8)

Taking a break from body work I've been picking away at doing a semi wire tuck and shave. This includes tucking the stock radiator,hiding the cruise controller,removal of battery tray and a late model retro fitted coolant overflow tank from a 89 325iX. Originally planning on welding all seams on the quest for a close shave, now I'm leaning towards using a body panel bonding two part adhesive,to smooth out the seams. Windshield reservoir will be remote located to the trunk area.

Also on the hit list is shorty header install/revised exhaust :twisted: and a cockpit full of auto meter digital gauges. The addition of side markers and an m3 roadster steering wheel has been performed too.

Anyways.. Pictures to insue. Enjoy :egeek
tWeeKed

1992 Livina Geniss

Re: ~ Purists Need Not Apply ~ tWeeKed's Version of a 325iS

Postby tWeeKed » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:24 pm

Where to start...how about with what consumed most of my winter and part of a summer? I'm by NO means a bodywork guy. So bare with me! In the end as long as I can live with the final project, I guess that's all that matters right?

So why not do a Boser Hood with a huge 5" fibreglass cowl?... Oh my...

The start to the madness..I'm going to copy and paste quite a bit of this till I get caught up to date...I'm lazy-sew me :lol:

Once again I'm by NO means a body guy but I'm trying my best to fake it:p

Pictures!

The beginning.. Started by masking a cut mark and getting the paint off from the areas to be welded..

After the paint was removed I drilled out the 4 spot welds that hold the front grill to the support

Closed the hood and measured up a strip to lay in the gap

And start your tacking!

After this was welded, I simply cut where my masking lines were and hit the hood release.

***Note***

You need to remove the the auxiliary fan so that you can easily reach thru the open kidney area and release the safety latch. After all the grafting is done I will figure out how to get at this latch with the kidneys back in.

Once that was done I ground the majority of the weld down. Next was making up the templates for the Boser sections.. Couple different looks..

I ended up going with the less aggressive slant, took the template and laid it out on my sheet steel..

God I need a shear!

Tack alack..

Once I made my way around spot welding these pieces in the were ground smooth and prepped for many,many,many layers of bondo..lol

tWeeKed

1992 Livina Geniss

Postby tWeeKed » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:30 pm

Annnnd Thennnnnn...

Sooooo, after I finished the initial Boser conversion, my imagination got the best of me. My buddy wagered me to do a cowl :pathead8:....

I first started with masking out some cut lines and some louvers..

Broke out the zip cut and gacked her open..I stuffed some blocking in to see where to go next

Don't mind the hagered "recessed" section in the center.. It will get covered with foam. The idea will be revised in the foam build up.

Next I started tacking in a 3" strip. . . .

I ended up taking the hood off and flipping it over to modify the frame underneath

Ended up chopping the old x section out and tack in some small square tubing. Most of this is prior to me thinking over using foam to get my shape. After finishing tacking it all together and welding it out, it still wasn't the shape I wanted. So I bought some foam to mold it with.

Fooooooooooooooooooammmmmmm

I used a 3m type spray on glue to get it to stay in place. I used a car battery to hold the little bugger down while the glue set up, and for while I was sanding/shaping it.

Didn't quite cover in one piece so adddddddddd moreeeeeee

I drew a few guide lines and started the massacre...

Oops tools and motivation..

It's what inside that counts...

Anddddd goooooooooooo!!!

I might still working on the shape some more but for now this will do..

If your a purest, sorry this definatly won't be for you by the end of it lol, but in the end if I don't like it - replace the hood/grill section and it's back to the beginning. Just seeing what I can come up with in the meen time :p

I'll go grab some more glass and start with a base layer to build off of.. I'll also figure out how to make some inserts for the hood vents.
tWeeKed

1992 Livina Geniss

Postby tWeeKed » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:34 pm

Did some more smoothing out. The front section needed to be held in place so I went to crappy tire and grabbed some expanding foam. Held down with some heavy objects till cured..

After smoothing out as far as I could go I realized that there was a definite low spot that needed to be address.... Soooo break out the spray foam..

Masked out the area

Spray in...

I want to make sure it's good and cured so it's sitting for the night.

As far as the shaping goes, I've been using a 4.5" grinder with a flapper sanding wheel, a sanding mouse, hack saw blade and a wood rasp file.
tWeeKed

1992 Livina Geniss

Postby JFM325is » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:46 am

I think the cowl is way to big. would have been fine without the foam but still cool project
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby tWeeKed » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:02 pm

JFM325is wrote:I think the cowl is way to big. would have been fine without the foam but still cool project

Haha I agree, it got way outta hand, but like I said worst case scenario I put a stock hood and grill on and we're back to square one. Thanks for looking 8)
tWeeKed

1992 Livina Geniss

Postby tWeeKed » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:01 pm

There's kinda a gap in some pictures but ill give you what I have.. Ongoing progress on this cowl hood..

So the spray foam didn't work as well as I wanted, but it did give me a base to mold the cowl.

Next came wax paper and tuct tape to create a barrier between the mold and the glass. After the barrier was complete I poured some resin for the first layer of many many improper layers lol..

Fiberglass layer..
I staggered the layers between, using fiberglass and an old bed sheet for my cloth.

After some layers I popped the cowl off the hood/ mold. Turned it over and prepped to trim it down..
Trimming..

I'm sure most of you are gonna notice the bad wrinkling. But I promise you won't see any of it when I'm done haha. End goal will be to smooth the hood right out and use it as a plug to make make a fiberglass/carbon hood.
tWeeKed

1992 Livina Geniss

Postby tWeeKed » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:05 pm

Hood cowl is bonded on via fusor 147. I'll work on grafting it together and smoothing it out next,,also found a spot to put some gauges..hehe..

First for this session,trimming out the center in needed section ( 4.5"grinder with a zip cut)
I braced it before the cutting commenced to keep it stable.
Next mock up of the cowl, using metal tech screws to hold it in place. Pre drill then nail her down
Missed this pic but her it is with the tech screws and fusor 147
Pulled all the tech screws and flipped it over. Cleaned out the bracing and anymore un wanted sheet steel
tWeeKed

1992 Livina Geniss

Postby tWeeKed » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:15 pm

Moar pics

Pod still needs to be re-worked but gives you the idea..

In between working in the hood,fiberglass resin and bondo I worked on the pod a bit.

Cotton tacked on with crazy glue..

Then resin..

Laying up some glass now..

Aside from those two bloody wrinkles from the previous cloth layer :evil:
The first glass layer went on fairly well,I'll have to work those wrinkles out somehow now. Most likely fix them after by popping the pod off and filling the, first by the backside then sanding them out on the top. I'm figuring this is going to be my first attempt at wrapping in alcantra too, I'm thinking easier then trying to get this hole thing baby smooth-just cover it lol :p
tWeeKed

1992 Livina Geniss

Postby tWeeKed » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:23 pm

More on the hooooooooood

So first to tape and mask off stuff unwanted to be covered in longhair heavy metal bondo fiberglass..

Smoothing outtttttttt, first layer...

Got another two layers of long strand bondo on..

Knocked down and smoothed out more..
Then getting onto normal body filler..
Smoothed it out more and now a little bit of a guide coat/outline of how I want to shape it

I realize to most it's looking still pretty ruff,and it is :p BUT, I feel I have enuff build up now to do a good bit of shaping without having to worry about making it too thin and weakening the cowl itself..

Bahhhhhhhh it's finally almost over!$&@?!!!!
Well, not really but I can dream...
tWeeKed

1992 Livina Geniss

Postby tWeeKed » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Managed to hit the wreckers and looookie what I found!?!

And thennnnn

Trying to decide which spoiler is going to be used still. The godie double decker m3 one has kinda grown on me and seems to balance out the car now with the huge cowl. The one thats on my new to me rust free trunk lid is nice and is a factory Germany made piece. Guess we will see..

Well well welllllllllll, I managed to pillage some replacement panel pieces for the last of my rust repair..

Passenger inner and outter door handle, partial rocker panel, back underneath trunk piece, both weather strips for the doors,both mud sills,ends of grill pieces and some extra coil to plug boots for 19.98$ - not bad for ol picknpull ������*

Random picks.. Does your tool kit for the wreckers look like mine?

Partial rocker to cut out
And cut

Yayyyyyy more body work to dooooooooooooooooooo blah!
tWeeKed

1992 Livina Geniss

Postby tWeeKed » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Last couple skims of bondo before the icing goes on..

And theseeeee showed up in the mail...

Anyways..

Alittle more progress on the hood.. I've been swooping back and forth on projects so the hood gets back burnerd sometimes when I work on my Audi... Anyways..picturessssss

New grill inserts and emblem..

Still far from being done but this just a teaser for myself...

Someday I'll be stinking rich and Pay someone to do this BS blahhhhhhhh :mrgreen:
tWeeKed

1992 Livina Geniss

Postby tWeeKed » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:48 pm

So I figured I'd take a break from body work and focus on detailing my engine bay.. I might have taken it too far lol..

There's obviously still things left to do on this side:

- weld all seams and finishing shaving the bay of seams,spot welds and so on. And Yes, I got a little horny with the drill and went to far on some spots welds, Owell they wont even remember being there by the time I'm done

- need a new distribution block and cover

- make a bracket to mount distro block beside the diagnostic port

- smooth and paint

The whole idea for this engine bay cleaning won't to be going too crazy with the shave and tuck but to "clean" up things and make the bay more pleasing to the eye.

Well like I said, not a complete tuck but I'm moving stuff that's easy to move and help clean up the bay. So after cleaning the passenger side I started working on the drivers. I'd love to have moved the fuse box but I'm lazy and said moving the cruise control and harness was good enuff :p

So..
Tucked the cruise control into the void and zap strapped the harness to the chassis
DOnt forget your grounds!

Sorry but the cell phone pics get worse..lol.. Anyways next in the list is tucking the rad in just a weeeee bit closer. Again, nothing crazy but it does give the illusion of a roomier engine bay. Actually gains me what,2"ish- width of the rad?

There's theses little guys that need to come out..

And then...

More bits to mod..centre support to get cut out a bit and also the black fan support. I'm going to reinforce both pieces before putting them back in..

Going to re use the bottom mount tabs, so off they come..

Next is modding the center support to allow the rad to come in closer..

And gap.....

I'm just waiting for my photobucket stream to catch up, but next batch of pics will be of more cleaning in the bay- drivers side items.

Thanks for looking
tWeeKed

1992 Livina Geniss

Postby tWeeKed » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:59 am

Rad tucked away..

tWeeKed

1992 Livina Geniss

Postby st3althbeam328i » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:57 am

hmmm not a fan of the hood, but should be a fun project
4/96 328i Sport Saloon OBD1 AlpinawiessIII My Build Blog! http://mbuild.blogspot.com/
st3althbeam328i

1996 BMW

Return to Member Projects