BMW E36 OBC problem

When it comes time to change your oil and filters or need some help getting the best mileage on your daily commute, you can always check into our general maintenance forum for assistance with your most common motoring needs. Post up any general tech questions you have for your 1992-1999 BMW 3 series.

BMW E36 OBC problem

Postby Pozer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:42 pm

Hi!
I found that I have a complete instalation with connectors for 18 button OBC and I went to buy one as soon as possible. When I finally found it, I connect it to my car (white and black connector) and all I got was illumination on the buttons...??? Nothing else works... I tried to replace the bulbs behind the display, all of them were broken, but still nothing happens...???!!! The "lower" part of OBC has illumination but the "upper" does not...

Any ideas? What should I look...?
Pozer

Re: BMW E36 OBC problem

Postby JFM325is » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:48 pm

sounds like you have a bad obc.
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby WerewolfCustoms » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:08 am

Yea... Sounds like a faulty OBC. Try putting in another 18 button OBC. Maybe you know someone who has it?
You can try mine, if you can't find anyone that would lend you their BC. I could come to Delnice... :)
WerewolfCustoms

1996 Hardbody Truck

Postby Caligula » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:50 am

You say your car is prewired for the OBC. Does it also have the steering wheel stalk? Any signs that the wiring was added outside of the factory. Make sure you check the applicable circuits before buying another OBC
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby Pozer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:32 am

WerewolfCustoms wrote:Yea... Sounds like a faulty OBC. Try putting in another 18 button OBC. Maybe you know someone who has it?
You can try mine, if you can't find anyone that would lend you their BC. I could come to Delnice... :)

I tried to put OBC with 11 buttons and Check control, all is working fine, all functions are working... :? It is wery nice of you that you would come to Delnice, I am from Rijeka, but I dont want to drive my car on those roads covered with salt... :(
Pozer

Postby Pozer » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:38 am

Caligula wrote:You say your car is prewired for the OBC. Does it also have the steering wheel stalk? Any signs that the wiring was added outside of the factory. Make sure you check the applicable circuits before buying another OBC

Steering wheel stalk...? You mean OBC control on the handle for turn lights...? No, I don't have that, but many people put OBC with 18 buttons without that and all is working fine for them... :( I have OEM installation for OBC with 18 buttons but without that handle, someone removed it... but it should work, right...?
How do I need to check applicable circuits...? All I can find are those two pictures...

Pozer

Return to General Maintenance & Motoring