Cooling Issues ...

When it comes time to change your oil and filters or need some help getting the best mileage on your daily commute, you can always check into our general maintenance forum for assistance with your most common motoring needs. Post up any general tech questions you have for your 1992-1999 BMW 3 series.

Cooling Issues ...

Postby anders20981 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:32 am

So my e36 is refusing to cool down, the other night on my way home from a friends house, (was driving the car fairly hard), it strangely began to overheat. Once I noticed my gauge go past the 3/4 line I puled over to let it cool, after 30 minuets or so it returned to normal level, so I set off (only 20 blocks from home) by the time I got home it was on the edge of the red zone. This morning it started up fine no smoke/vapors/smells/sounds... but after 5 minuets of driving, it was climbing past midway. So far I've checked the thermostat, and mostly ruled out a blown head gasket, (thank god), tomorrow I'll check the water pump and radiator, Any other things to check? or any words of wisdom?
One thing I noticed in my drive this morning even when the engine was warm the heat wouldn't work??

-Thanks
anders20981

1994 Pao

Re: Cooling Issues ...

Postby JFM325is » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:49 am

heat could be something completely off, check to make sure coolant is toped off. I thought my coolant was ok only to find that adding just a quarter more to the resivoir made the problem go away. If anything I think it might have something to do with your water pump. The water pump in these cars are known to have issues cause they are plastic. If you havent already replaced it I would suggest you do, broken or not.
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Re: Cooling Issues ...

Postby anders20981 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:12 am

It was the water pump indeed :) thanks for the advice!
anders20981

1994 Pao

Return to General Maintenance & Motoring