"new" e36 m3, fan delete/cooling system questions

When it comes time to change your oil and filters or need some help getting the best mileage on your daily commute, you can always check into our general maintenance forum for assistance with your most common motoring needs. Post up any general tech questions you have for your 1992-1999 BMW 3 series.

"new" e36 m3, fan delete/cooling system questions

Postby Mcubed » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:22 am

Hey guys, I'm new here, and new to BMW's but have done a little research so i dont sound like a complete moron (hopefully :D ) I have been a long time fan of BMW's, M's, and especially e36's. Anyway i have been looking at this nice 1997 m3 sedan black on black with around 65,xxx miles. i do not plan on making this m3 (if i get it) a racecar, just a nice dd with a couple mods) but have some questions. I do plan to take care of all the manitenance before modding, but have some questions about the fan delete mod and cooling system overhaul.

I know i want to do the FDM, but who has the most complete fan delete kit? (i'd rather buy a kit than piece it all together)

Also, i am looking to replace the oem radiator with an all aluminum radiator while doing the FDM. which aluminum radiator do you guys suggest? is there a decent (good quality but not the most expensive) aluminum radiatior that includes a fan shround and/or spal fan?

I am also looking to replace the oem waterpump with a stewart hp waterpump and would like to install the underdrive pullies while i am at it. which underdrive pullies would you guys suggest?

I am looking for the best most complete fan delete kit (advice?), good aluminium radiator (advice?), with fan shround and spal puller fan, stewart waterpump with underdrive pullies (advice).

what would you guys suggest for me? I am not looking for THE best most awesome parts, nor am i looking for the cheapest parts. trying to find the best medium.

first mods after maintenance will be FDM, cooling system overhaul, underdrive pullies, asc delete.

then .5"-1" lower springs/struts, good intake system with software, most likely stock exhaust...
Mcubed

Re: "new" e36 m3, fan delete/cooling system questions

Postby JFM325is » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:40 am

dont know to much about a FDK or fans, everything else I can :) So first off you're gonna wanna get a mishimoto radiator, can usually find them on ebay (DO NOT BE ALARMED!!) just because its on ebay doenst mean its bad or cheaply made. These are great radiators! Next you're gonna wanna get the UUC pully kit. Its kinda expensive but totally worth it. Intake I usually just tell people to make their own but you can get a conforti cold air, runs about 300 bucks. Software you can go TRM or Dinan, doesnt really matter which they are both pretty good. Get a exhaust!! I hate the stock ones! there is a wide range and it just depends on the sound you are looking for. As far as spring and struts I have Billies with H&R oe race springs on for sale if you want them pm me and we can work something out. Let me know if you have any other questions
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby Mcubed » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:54 am

why mishimoto radiator? best compromise between quality and cost?

anyone else recomend this radiator? or others?

also, why the uuc underdrive pulley kit instead or eurosport or tms or others? does something make these better than the other ud pullies?

anyone else recomend these pullies? or others?
Mcubed

Postby JFM325is » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:07 am

Mishimoto because it does provide the cost effective solution you are looking for without sacrificing performance.

I personally like UUC because of the quality of their products. They manufacture things right and I've never had any problems with them before. I suppose you could go with TMS but again like I said UUC was a personal choice because of how great they have been to me.
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby kalib0y » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:28 am

I would go with a Mishimotor rad, I used them in all my past 4 bmws without any issues, very cost effective with a lifetime warranty. As for the FDK, I would either go to understeer.com or bimmerworld.

All underdrive pullies ar about the same, especially with the companies you listed.
95 5.7L 16V E36 M3
Race and Street stud Conversion kits ---> http://www.motorsporthardware.com
LIKE my Facebook Page!!!--->http://www.facebook.com/motorsporthardware
kalib0y

Postby Mcubed » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:47 pm

I guess i will go with a Mishimoto radiator and understeer fan delete kit.

Does the uuc pulley kit include the alt puller, or is it just Eurosport kit that does?

Also, where can i get a fan shroud that i can use with the Mishi rad and a Spal puller fan?
Mcubed

Postby kalib0y » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:21 pm

you can either use your stock fan shroud or dont use a fan shroud at all. I am unsure about the alt pulley. I do know that there are 2 different types of pulleys, bosch and valeo, so make sure you order the correct pulley kit
95 5.7L 16V E36 M3
kalib0y

Postby Mcubed » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:35 am

any other suggestions on underdrive pullies?

id really like a nice set including ps pump, alt, and water pump pullies
Mcubed

Postby JFM325is » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:21 am

you can get the full set from UUC. They have a package deal
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby Caligula » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:11 am

How about forget underdrive pulleys, for the money you would get better results with software. I also use a Mishimoto radiator, its of pretty good quality and you can get them for the around the same price as OEM radiators. I cant say im a fan of UUC, ive found their advertising practices to be very scandalous and most of their products are rebranded Chinese made items you can from other distributors for less. Their flywheel related products are the only in house produced items they sell.

Though asking for a package deal leads me to believe you might not really need a cooling kit. What is it that youre trying to accomplish? What about your current setup isnt performing as well as it needs to that all this high performance stuff is needed. As all a fan delete kit involves is a colder fan switch, which there are two types of, and a colder thermostat, which comes out from a E28 series, after you remove the engine driven fan.

Its easy to spot out first time E36 owners when all the questions is how to lower the car and add a lot of unnecessary performance parts for a non-track car. Focus on doing your maintenance first. Instead of focusing on a fan delete, do your water pump, thermostat housing, all the hoses, and get the Mishimoto radiator if you want with the colder fan switch.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby kalib0y » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:02 am

I agree, pulleys are something you buy when you have nothing else to upgrade lol...marginal performance increase
95 5.7L 16V E36 M3
kalib0y

Postby Mcubed » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:49 pm

well i definately want to do the FDM and cooling system upgrade asap, and figured while im at the front of the engine replacing the radiator, fans, waterpump etc, i might as well do the UD pullies while i am at it.

my only plans are FDM, cooling system upgrade/ud pullies....then maybe intake and software (stock exhaust), then maybe suspension
Mcubed

Postby JFM325is » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:29 pm

Ok well you have alot of answers here to choose from. It's not our car its your car so make up your mind and go for it
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby Caligula » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:05 pm

JFM325is wrote:Ok well you have alot of answers here to choose from. It's not our car its your car so make up your mind and go for it

Agreed, you have all the answers you need here. It depends if youre going to go down the road of burning money on all the shiny stuff being sold on bimmerforums like i did 5 years ago, or take a slower approach that will actually let you learn something about the car before pouring money into it. Id recommend saving your money for maintenance, tires, and driving school. Those three will make you drive faster then any of this other stuff.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby Mcubed » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Caligula wrote:. Focus on doing your maintenance first. Instead of focusing on a fan delete, do your water pump, thermostat housing, all the hoses, and get the Mishimoto radiator if you want with the colder fan switch.

I am trying to focus on maintenance first, but the crack prone plastic end tank radiator, thermostat housing and plastic engine driven fan are on my list. So i figured I might as well get a cheap aluminum radiator, Mishimoto i guess, aluminum thermostat housing and get rid of the engine driven fan with a Spal fan on the radiator, and of course colder thermostat and fan switch. Then i figured might as well replace the water pump while im at, and might as well add pullies to it while im at the front the engine messing with the cooling system.

My only goal is to completely refresh the cooling system with new, maybe upgraded parts so i will not have to worry about the OEM radiator, or waterpump, or engine driven fan cracking or breaking or what have you. So i really would like a new radiator with aux fan, fan delete, waterpump and pullies as my first "mods".
Mcubed

Next

Return to General Maintenance & Motoring