"new" e36 m3, fan delete/cooling system questions

When it comes time to change your oil and filters or need some help getting the best mileage on your daily commute, you can always check into our general maintenance forum for assistance with your most common motoring needs. Post up any general tech questions you have for your 1992-1999 BMW 3 series.

Re: "new" e36 m3, fan delete/cooling system questions

Postby Caligula » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:33 am

Ive never seen a OEM radiator crack that wasnt at least 3 years old and was filled with tap water. Then again i haven't seen a sub $500 aluminum radiator over three years old that didnt start to show signs of electrolysis corrosion.

The point is youre not asking the right questions. What model fan are you going to get? Which colder thermostat and fan thermistor are you going to get? Also whats most important is how you plan to mount the fan, and which fan shroud youre going to use.

Im more critical of young people who have M3's because it is really too much car for anyone to have as a first or even second car. The level of responsibility is just not there until youve been driving a few years. This isnt a computer or a dirt bike you can mod and play with without consequence, its a high performance car, and needs to be treated as such. Which means learning to control and maintain it before taking it apart.

If you get the Mishimoto shroud, youll be able to easily mount a SPAL slim fan, but youll have to gerry rig the expansion tank and hoses. You can go with the stock fan shroud and have the expansion tank mounted nicely, though the fan you will have to mount either with a pin-though setup, which you have to build yourself (SPAL make a kit but its shit), or use the cut to fit mounting brackets. Also youll need to get the SPAL 16" fan gasket if youre mounting it on the radiator as the longer fan blades have a chance of contacting the radiator.

Check out A1 electric, good prices and service. Look at the 16" SLIM fan, youll want the extra room provided with the slim fan. Also look at their rubber gasket for it and the relay and wiring kit they sell.

Also Pepboys demonstrates everything thats wrong with automotive repairs. Though if you go there they sell a fan mount kit with rubber pads you can use with your SPAL. Then go to Do-it Center or OSH, they have a vast hardware department in which they sell loose springs of various sizes. Youll want to get some springs that fit between the fan and the wide flat part of the mounting pins to provide some tension against the radiator. Youll see what i mean after you get the mounting kit.

I had some pics of when i put my kit together but i cant find them, this is the best shot i could find of my mounting:

and the fan switch:

though since youre in an automatic, youre going to have to worry about this also:

Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby Caligula » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:36 am

I found one. When i mounted this, i had placed the fan shroud on the radiator and centered the fan inside the shroud opening. It will be off center in the radiator. The second pic is with the shitty SPAL mounting kit that i later replaced.

Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby Caligula » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:50 am

Also i should add, the Mishimoto radiator is my THIRD all aluminum radiator. The one pictured above is my second, both were from Carr Industries, which i found was sourced from Ireland Engineering. Chinese made crap, this started to leak from the core from electrolysis around 2.5 years into use. I noticed the Mishimoto is much beefier, with thicker end tanks. If you have a Conforti style CAI, it will be a snug fit.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby Mcubed » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:24 pm

So i would be fine with a Mishimoto aluminum radiator, Mishi fan shroud, Spal 16" slim fan/gasket? Id just have to come up with a way to mount the expansion tank?

Im thinking Understeer . com fan delete kit (80c thermostat, 80/88c fan switch, aluminum thermstat housing, gaskets etc), Mishimoto aluminum radiator, with this shroud/fan? http://www.mishimoto.com/bmw-e36-perfor ... it-92.html (what do you guys think of this shroud/fan combo????), and Stewart water pump. Then I shouldnt have to worry about any of the cooling system for a good while, or so I hope.
Mcubed

Postby JFM325is » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:51 pm

Shroud is out of stock I dont think they make it anymore. And for the last time... Yes that will all be fine
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby Caligula » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:54 pm

Mcubed wrote:So i would be fine with a Mishimoto aluminum radiator, Mishi fan shroud, Spal 16" slim fan/gasket? Id just have to come up with a way to mount the expansion tank?

Im thinking Understeer . com fan delete kit (80c thermostat, 80/88c fan switch, aluminum thermstat housing, gaskets etc), Mishimoto aluminum radiator, with this shroud/fan? http://www.mishimoto.com/bmw-e36-perfor ... it-92.html (what do you guys think of this shroud/fan combo????), and Stewart water pump. Then I shouldnt have to worry about any of the cooling system for a good while, or so I hope.

You haven't read a damn thing we've posted have you. Im curious, how old are you?
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby Mcubed » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:05 am

JFM325is wrote:Shroud is out of stock I dont think they make it anymore. And for the last time... Yes that will all be fine

Oh damn I didnt notice it was out of stock, hopefully they will stock back up. If not Ill find a way to make it work.

And Im not talking about doing everything all at once. Most likely start off with removing the engine driven fan and installing alu thermo housing with 80c thermo and fan switch on stock radiator and aux fan. Then if the radiator or fan fails I will replace with a Mishi rad and figure the fan out. Then maybe waterpump before I have issues with that.

Im just planning ahead, trying to figure out the whole cooling system so I wont have to worry about it for a long time to come, hopefully.
Mcubed

Postby JFM325is » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:06 am

Caligula wrote:
You haven't read a damn thing we've posted have you. I'm curious, how old are you?

Lols
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby Mcubed » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:14 pm

Caligula wrote: If you have a Conforti style CAI, it will be a snug fit.

Eurosport/ITG carbon intake/ shield?

I will most likely just make my own cheap short intake/ heatshield as Im not too concerned with HP.
Mcubed

Postby JFM325is » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Mcubed wrote:I will most likely just make my own cheap short intake/ heatshield as Im not too concerned with HP.

Then why are you putting in an intake?!?!
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby Mcubed » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:58 pm

JFM325is wrote:
Mcubed wrote:I will most likely just make my own cheap short intake/ heatshield as Im not too concerned with HP.

Then why are you putting in an intake?!?!

Mainly for sound and underhood looks, along with the minute hp figures they claim, plus added throttle response.

Just to be 100% certain, I can use an 80c thermostat and 88/80c fan switch with stock radiator and stock aux fan?
Mcubed

Postby Mcubed » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:10 am

JFM325is wrote: Get a exhaust!! I hate the stock ones!

Why? The extra sound? The minimal weight reduction? Or the ~5hp it frees up?
Mcubed

Postby JFM325is » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Mcubed wrote:
JFM325is wrote: Get a exhaust!! I hate the stock ones!

Why? The extra sound? The minimal weight reduction? Or the ~5hp it frees up?

Well based on this whole effing thread it looks like you are more concerened with sound a look of your car rather then performance. you wanted to put an intake in for sound and under the engine looks why not get an exhaust that makes that engine sound beefier and adds a touch to how it looks.... I mean your not concerend with HP you said so yourself.
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Previous

Return to General Maintenance & Motoring