cooling system update

When it comes time to change your oil and filters or need some help getting the best mileage on your daily commute, you can always check into our general maintenance forum for assistance with your most common motoring needs. Post up any general tech questions you have for your 1992-1999 BMW 3 series.

cooling system update

Postby jeagon » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:27 pm

Tomorrow my car will finally get the long overdue cooling system overhaul. New t-stat, alum housing, metal impeller water pump, new hoses and clamps, coolant, etc. The radiator and expansion tank were replaced right before I bought the car so I'm good there. So my question- Is there ANYTHING else I need or should look for? It's cold as hell here right now and don't need any surprises. Thanks.
jeagon

1998 Lafesta

Re: cooling system update

Postby DEFKON99 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:16 pm

dumb question but you do have the gaskets and all for the new housing? other than that you should be good to go!
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby Caligula » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:55 am

Hoses, fan shroud, fan clutch, missing clips and rivets. Upper bleed hose. All the hose clamps. You can replace all the heater hoses and the distribution hose and hard line seals, after you take the intake manifold off.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby jeagon » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:57 pm

SNAG! Water pump pulley cracked...plastic BMW? You're sh!tt!ng me. Found an aluminum on for $26 @ RM European. Time for a beer or twelve.
jeagon

1998 Lafesta

Return to General Maintenance & Motoring