High Mileage Engine Oil Change

When it comes time to change your oil and filters or need some help getting the best mileage on your daily commute, you can always check into our general maintenance forum for assistance with your most common motoring needs. Post up any general tech questions you have for your 1992-1999 BMW 3 series.

Re: High Mileage Engine Oil Change

Postby j-amer » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:44 am

Caligula wrote:
j-amer wrote:
Adam wrote:You can switch back to dino oil with no problem, but synthetic is better. If you can afford to use synthetic it's a better bet. I consider it cheap insurance.

Alright sounds good, I'm leaning back toward Lubro Moly cause the price isn't that bad.

Another question though, is it really necessary to change oil filters at 3K miles between oil changes?

Not necessary, but i would recommend it if you plan to go past 5k miles between changes.

I think we decided the forum fule is 5w40 synthetic is good for all purposes and situations. The Rotella T6 from Walmart is a good cheap way to go synthetic without going to the best of the best, LubroMoly. Ive been using T6 in my M3 since i discovered i have a dead cylinder, why waste oil that costs $35 a jug.

Alright so final decision making time.

After what you, Adam, and JF have said I'm stuck between the T6 and Castrol GTX High Mileage (10w-30?), my local O'Reilly where my buddy works sells both but the GTX is often on sale so I'd be saving some cash.

So what I'm asking is what can synth, specifically Rotella T6, really do for my engine at this point? How much better is it given these conditions: I'm at 203K miles, I don't burn oil, my pan gasket leaks some oil (It's been about 4500 miles since I put in Mobil 1 and I haven't had to top off so it doesn't leak that much but more than the Pennzoil did), my VANOS ticks more with my current Mobil 1 Synth, and I live in Northern California so I'm looking at a low of no less than 25 F and a high no more than 110 F (Sometimes this car will go to Sacramento or to somewhat cold places).

Gimme anything you got, a Porsche mechanic appeared out of thin air in a swamp in Alabama and told you Audi won all of their recent Le Mans races because they secretly used Rotella T6? I wanna hear about it.

(EDIT: What I'm really asking is Rotella T6 has no additives and Castrol High Mileage does so will those additives do more for me than just having Rotella T6 synthetic will? Sorry for the poor wording, it's early.)
The life of my e36 in pics
Fluids: Liqui Moly Synthoil Premium 5W-40, Redline D4 ATF in my 5-spd, Ate Super Blue DOT4, and Royal Purple 75W-90 in my LSD
j-amer

1995 Fairlady

Postby Adam » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:03 am

Synthetic oil is higher quality than dino oil, and offers greater protection against the rigors an engine endures. The general belief for BMWs is to change the oil every 5k miles with synthetic and your engine will be better protected than with dino oil.

I use Castrol GTX High Mileage in my wife's 2003 Mazda Protege and change the oil every 3k miles. Then again, I also use cheap gas in that car because it doesn't seem to care what I put in it--but it's not a BMW, either.

Here's my approach: I want my BMWs to last forever, so I use high quality parts and fluids to give me the best chance of that; I think Shell Rotella T6 is a better oil than GTX, so I use Rotella T6. The T6 is supposed to have good detergents that keep the engine cleaner than other oils. I've also heard from a few track guys that Rotella T6 is a much better oil than most people think, and that it's among the best for your car--that's opinion, but I've never heard anyone say that about GTX.

Ask 10 people about oil and you'll get 10 different answers. I've been using Rotella T6 in my 1997 328is for some time now. My 1999 M3, which I just bought, came with Amsoil 15W-40, and I'm going to keep using that because it's supposed to be the bomb, albeit expensive.

If you choose to use GTX I would change the oil every 3-4k miles, or every 5k with synthetic.
Braking wastes momentum.
Adam

1997 Figaro

Postby j-amer » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:42 am

Adam wrote:Synthetic oil is higher quality than dino oil, and offers greater protection against the rigors an engine endures. The general belief for BMWs is to change the oil every 5k miles with synthetic and your engine will be better protected than with dino oil.

I use Castrol GTX High Mileage in my wife's 2003 Mazda Protege and change the oil every 3k miles. Then again, I also use cheap gas in that car because it doesn't seem to care what I put in it--but it's not a BMW, either.

Here's my approach: I want my BMWs to last forever, so I use high quality parts and fluids to give me the best chance of that; I think Shell Rotella T6 is a better oil than GTX, so I use Rotella T6. The T6 is supposed to have good detergents that keep the engine cleaner than other oils. I've also heard from a few track guys that Rotella T6 is a much better oil than most people think, and that it's among the best for your car--that's opinion, but I've never heard anyone say that about GTX.

Ask 10 people about oil and you'll get 10 different answers. I've been using Rotella T6 in my 1997 328is for some time now. My 1999 M3, which I just bought, came with Amsoil 15W-40, and I'm going to keep using that because it's supposed to be the bomb, albeit expensive.

If you choose to use GTX I would change the oil every 3-4k miles, or every 5k with synthetic.

That's what I needed to hear. Sounds like Rotella T6 is what I should be using. Thank you!
Fluids: Liqui Moly Synthoil Premium 5W-40, Redline D4 ATF in my 5-spd, Ate Super Blue DOT4, and Royal Purple 75W-90 in my LSD
j-amer

1995 Fairlady

Postby euro2fast4u » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:24 am

ive been running the rotella 10w-40 in mine and i recently got this tick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1qRv2qj ... ature=plcp

its getting worse im thinking of getting a second motor to have on hand
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAdBeu3Z-Vw
"im gonna fuck the integral of your pussy with the derivative of my dick"
euro2fast4u

1993 Fairlady

Postby j-amer » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:07 am

euro2fast4u wrote:ive been running the rotella 10w-40 in mine and i recently got this tick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1qRv2qj ... ature=plcp

its getting worse im thinking of getting a second motor to have on hand

Oh damn that's not your average vanos tick. Cams or valves maybe? Have you looked at your cams? You'll have to remove a cover to see the intake cam once you take off the valve cover. Here's what my exhaust one looked liked for reference (look for wear on the silver parts): http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnsbmwe36/sets/72157630871363304/

And another shot of the whole thing: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnsbmwe36/6153758294/in/photostream
j-amer

1995 Fairlady

Postby euro2fast4u » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:42 am

im pretty sure i lucked out. the plug backed out and destroyed the coil thought the motor was trashed as i limped home come to find out this happened.

euro2fast4u

1993 Fairlady

Postby j-amer » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:25 am

euro2fast4u wrote:im pretty sure i lucked out. the plug backed out and destroyed the coil thought the motor was trashed as i limped home come to find out this happened.

Damn! That's crazy. Glad it wasn't anything mechanical.
j-amer

1995 Fairlady

Postby euro2fast4u » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:54 pm

yea i called bs on people saying plugs came out and called them morons . i havent touched these plugs in ~40k miles right and it comes out waiting on some coils to come in to keep on motoring
euro2fast4u

1993 Fairlady

Postby j-amer » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:39 am

I went with Liqui Moly Synthoil Premium 5W-40, FCPEuro has free shipping over 25 bucks so I only spent about $53

I'll be back with the verdict in awhile
j-amer

1995 Fairlady

Previous

Return to General Maintenance & Motoring