fan belt replacement problems

When it comes time to change your oil and filters or need some help getting the best mileage on your daily commute, you can always check into our general maintenance forum for assistance with your most common motoring needs. Post up any general tech questions you have for your 1992-1999 BMW 3 series.

fan belt replacement problems

Postby cosmosm3 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:50 pm

Hello, I am in the process of replacing my pulleys, tensioners, and belts for my AC and the main belt on my 1995 m3. Problem is
when I replaced the pulleys and the one tensioner on the main side with the alternator when I get the replacement belt on it is too tight even with the tensioner fully released. Then I put on the old belt to see what was up it was too loose, I could put a few fingers between the belt and the alternator pulley wheel. I have the routing correct.
anyone?
cosmosm3

Re: fan belt replacement problems

Postby Caligula » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:09 am

The OEM belt is made by Contitech. If this is not what you bought, then its the wrong belt.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby cosmosm3 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:16 am

huh, it is a contitech belt like you said. do you know what the part number is? I'm thinking it may be the tensioner I replaced it with but
I compared it to the old one and it was the same size/length, I'll have to keep figurin
cosmosm3

Postby Caligula » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:18 am

If anything ive noticed the newer tensioners resemble the E46 ones and allow more range then the original ones.

Look in the manual for the belt routing, use belt 6PK X 1555
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby cosmosm3 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:12 am

turns out the belt was the wrong one. yes the new tensioners like you said had a little more range.but thanks for the help
cosmosm3

Return to General Maintenance & Motoring