keep killing water pumps

When it comes time to change your oil and filters or need some help getting the best mileage on your daily commute, you can always check into our general maintenance forum for assistance with your most common motoring needs. Post up any general tech questions you have for your 1992-1999 BMW 3 series.

keep killing water pumps

Postby boarding2008 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:37 am

when i bought my e36 the previous owner did the clutch fan delete and installed an electric fan on the radiator. about a month or two later the water pump went. coolant spraying out of the weep hole. replaced it and within a month the SAME thing. both were the plastic impeller ones so i said F*#@ it and got the metal impeller. well after a good 3 months, maybe 4. the water pump is leaking at the weep hole.

i cant think of a reason besides that the clutch and fan arent on which is causing the water pump to not be balanced but i could be wrong.

any feedback or questions welcomes.

thanks
boarding2008

Re: keep killing water pumps

Postby JFM325is » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:48 am

This is kind of a weird issue, I have never heard of the water pump going out because of the Fan delete mod. What kind of water pumps did you buy? Did you make sure you bled the system right before running the car to make sure that the air pockets were completely gone? Did the car start to over heat or its just leaking coolant?
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby Caligula » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:34 pm

If you're not using BMW blue coolant and distilled water, then that's you're problem.

Don't use the pump with the black cast impeller, there is one from graf or geba that is thin stamped metal. Use ONLY that one, the BMW OE composite pump, or a stewart racing pump. Grease the oring before installation. Replace your water pump pulley, use new OEM nuts and bolts, and only use BMW blue coolant and distilled water.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby DEFKON99 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:25 pm

what it has to be blue?!
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby Caligula » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:01 am

DEFKON99 wrote:what it has to be blue?!

Did i st st st stutter?
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Postby JFM325is » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:16 am

but I like teh green coolant... it looks cooler <---- see what I did there 8)
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby boarding2008 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:35 pm

yeah why exactly do i NEED blue coolant? i have no problem getting it seen as i will be changing all the fluid anyway.
i bled the coolant last time with no air pockets and i got the metal impeller one from carquest, so probably world pack.. but now im obviously regretting that. i will also change the water pump pulley while im at.

do you have a link to a pump you would buy/prefer?

thanks for all the help. im just pissed because it is a constant problem it seems like. my father is conviced it is because of the fan delete mod even though i can not find anyone else with the same problem and many people track their bimmer with this mod. i smell coolant shortly before they blow meaning they just start to leak and then POP. i fix the pump, no coolant smell and then it happens again.
boarding2008

Postby JFM325is » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:49 pm

can you also make sure that the electric fan is PUSHING air into the radiator and not away from the radiator.
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Postby DEFKON99 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Caligula wrote:
DEFKON99 wrote:what it has to be blue?!

Did i st st st stutter?

No i read it fine but you didn't answer my question DOES it HAVE to be blue?
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby Adam » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:31 pm

BMW coolant (the blue stuff) doesn't have phosphates, and it's the correct coolant for your car. It's the only coolant you should use, mixed 50/50 with distilled water.

Is the belt tension on the pump too tight? That could damage it and cause it to leak.
Braking wastes momentum.
Adam

1997 Figaro

Postby boarding2008 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:59 pm

the fan is mounted on the front of the radiator and is pushing air through it. should i remount it so it is on the back (closer to engine) and reverse the wires so it pulls.

i will check the belt tension when i replace the water pump and pulley. and will use BMW blue coolant as well. i will report back on what i find.
boarding2008

Postby Caligula » Fri May 04, 2012 12:56 am

boarding2008 wrote:the fan is mounted on the front of the radiator and is pushing air through it. should i remount it so it is on the back (closer to engine) and reverse the wires so it pulls.

What? No.

Last guy did not wire a puller fan in as he should have for a fan delete. Though unless youre in the southern states you probably wont need one.

If youre using the correct belt and tensioner then there is nothing to check.
Caligula
Site Admin

1995 Almera

Return to General Maintenance & Motoring