Changed the starter, now new problems arise?

When it comes time to change your oil and filters or need some help getting the best mileage on your daily commute, you can always check into our general maintenance forum for assistance with your most common motoring needs. Post up any general tech questions you have for your 1992-1999 BMW 3 series.

Changed the starter, now new problems arise?

Postby NoodleNoodle » Thu May 24, 2012 6:06 pm

I recently just changed the stater on my 97 328is because it was giving me problems since the day I bought it. I didn't have a lift so I decided to give it a go from the top, removing the intake. I got all of that hooked back up, and the car actually starts again, but now I'm having new problems that weren't there before. First and foremost, when the car is idling, it sounds like it's chugging, it's rough and it shakes the car quite a bit, but I don't notice the RPM move very much. When left idling, it'll smooth for a few seconds at random, then start going rough again. Whenever I accelerate, it starts to sputter. Did I hook something up wrong when I reinstalled the intake?

Secondly, my turn signals aren't working - at all. Not outside, not inside. My headlights work, but my turn signals don't? Among the electrical problems we have my windows, and traction control button. ACS and driver's side window are completely unresponsive. All other windows work correctly, but I notice that when I push the window switch, the ACS sign on the dash flickers slightly?

I really don't see how any of the electrical problems could come from the intake being reinstalled, but I did not have any of these problems before I changed it. I would think it would be a fuse or something, but how does it just go bad from a simple project? Any help would be appreciated, because I don't have the money for the stealership. I also asked this on bimmerforums.. I just want opinions all around. /: Thanks guys!
NoodleNoodle

Re: Changed the starter, now new problems arise?

Postby Adam » Thu May 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Weird. Definitely look over all of your connections and make sure they are in the correct places. Also check for any wires or connections you may have not reconnected.
Braking wastes momentum.
Adam

1997 Figaro

Postby DEFKON99 » Thu May 24, 2012 8:02 pm

Check your ICV rubber elbow. This is Located under the Intake Manifold
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby JFM325is » Mon May 28, 2012 2:58 pm

I say check fuses. While installing the starter you might have fried some things if you didn't disconnect your battery
JFM325is

1994 Fuga

Return to General Maintenance & Motoring