Small Leak around radiator hose clamps

When it comes time to change your oil and filters or need some help getting the best mileage on your daily commute, you can always check into our general maintenance forum for assistance with your most common motoring needs. Post up any general tech questions you have for your 1992-1999 BMW 3 series.

Small Leak around radiator hose clamps

Postby saternal » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:52 pm

Hey guys i've noticed a small patch of fluid on one of the radiator hose clamps and i'm thinking of just replacing the radiator since i think it's due for a change as well . This is unfamiliar to me and i was wondering if i should order a dual core full aluminium 2 row radiator with cooling fan or is this overkill for a daily car . (No Tracking)
saternal

Re: Small Leak around radiator hose clamps

Postby Adam » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:29 am

Is your radiator original? Definitely replace it immediately. These are prone to failure, and if your engine overheats it could wreck your engine. Aluminum radiators are a good upgrade, and I would recommend it. However, if you replace it with a stock radiator you can expect to get another 10 or so years out of that one. I have a Zionsville Autosport FatBoy, which is great because it has an integrated aluminum expansion tank, so there's less plastic in the cooling system. Some people like the Mishimoto radiator because it's inexpensive. While you're at it, be sure to replace the upper and lower radiator hoses (the ones that attach to the radiator). It's a good time to replace the thermostat and thermostat housing with an aluminum model. Be sure to drain all the coolant and replace with BMW Coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water; the system uses just under 2 gallons.
Braking wastes momentum.
Adam

1997 Figaro

Postby pjo33us » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:18 am

In the same boat. small leak right by the upper e-tank hose. Do everything now so you dont have to go back in in a couple of months when your water pump starts to fail. I am doing:
Radiator
Water Pump- usingthe current Bosch OEM model with a CF impeller
T-stat/housing & all gaskets
Upper & Lower rad hose
Upper and lower E-tank hoses
E tank & level sender (the sender is bad or my OBC is)
and a new pressure cap

ONLY BMW 50/50 as Adam said
pjo33us

Postby Adam » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:55 pm

I agree with pjo33us to do more if your budget allows, and his list is good. A good water pump upgrade is the EMP Stewart model. If you go with a stock water pump, get the metal impeller.

The level switch is most likely your problem, not your OBC. Sometimes it's the wiring, though.
Braking wastes momentum.
Adam

1997 Figaro

Return to General Maintenance & Motoring