Removing window trim

Don't go around looking like a filthy hobo, keep your E36 looking its finest with advice and techniques on bringing out the greatest shine and radiance from your car's paint and upholstery.

Removing window trim

Postby JayMac » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:15 pm

I am still too lame to figure out how to post pictures. I removed my window trim in about 5 minutes using a wooden paint stick and a hammer. No bends in the trim, I did not have to remove my rear windows. More to come.
Jay

http://s723.photobucket.com/albums/ww23 ... 20PROJECT/

My details on on the Photobucket site. I will make sure I post stuff here from now on. Not real computer savvy.
Jay
Last edited by JayMac on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JayMac

Re: Removing window trim

Postby 4banger » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:23 pm

spec stage1 clutch, ltw flywheel, raceland coilovers, welded diff, dinan chip Image
4banger

Postby DEFKON99 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:25 pm

cool , to post pics use the IMG tag and paste the link directing to the pic.
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Postby JayMac » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:29 pm

My info was on the Photobucket site. I will move it over, or at least try. Where is this IMG tag you speak of o wise one?
JayMac

Postby JayMac » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:36 pm

For picture 1:
After reading a few DIY's. I decided to use a paint stick and a hammer. If I was to do it again I would use something a little thiner. I would wrap in cloth or tape if I was concerned about the finish. Before I tried to remove it I lightly taped the length of the trim to attempt to break it free. Front end of trim needs a little room to come out. Paint stick to pry fender away worked fine. You do not need much. Side windows were left in. Light taps on the hammer, you're not driving nails!

For picture 2:
Moving down the driver's side of the car. Once you have it free it will come off pretty easy. I did both side in less than 5 minutes without bending the trim at all. I found both sides "wanted" to come off near the top of the front of the window. It is a pretty tight seal down the pilar but once the trim is moving it will come off. You actually can push the trim up a little in a few places to help loosen it.

For picture 3:
Trim removed and you can see the rot of the side pieces and the rot from the rear window seals.

For picture 4:
Driver side off. A little dirt to remove and on to the other side.

For picture 5:
Driver's side trim and the tools used to remove it. These are @$100 a piece to replace so salvage is a good thing.
JayMac

Return to Detailing & Auto Body Tech