PREPPING FOR PAINT rear bumper cover

Don't go around looking like a filthy hobo, keep your E36 looking its finest with advice and techniques on bringing out the greatest shine and radiance from your car's paint and upholstery.

Postby JayMac » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:36 pm

Starting to set up for bumper cover removal. Still not to sure on the imaging thing but I will try. I put the car up on ramps and used jackstands and wheel chocks for safety.Image
I then removed the lower bumper cover, an expansion rivet on each side and slide back from the car.
right side
Left side.
Slide back towards you.

Also trying to see if I have this image thing figured out. Wahoo! pictures
JayMac

Re: PREPPING FOR PAINT rear bumper cover

Postby 4banger » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Nice!
spec stage1 clutch, ltw flywheel, raceland coilovers, welded diff, dinan chip Image
4banger

Postby JayMac » Sun May 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Okay so I took the bumper off and am about to pull the cover. Removal of the bumper consisted of:
1. Removing two of the plastic rivets. I was able to take a small screwdriver and push the center of the rivet out. This would be from the rear of the car to the front.Image
It's dark in the photo but you will see it. Look for it in the lower outside corner of you wheel well.
Next was the screw that holds the top portion. It the photo it is the screw on the top right. 8mm. The Plastic nut on the left is holding the splash panel to the body. I took this off on the left side and left it on on the right side. 10mm
This picture was taken lying under the car and shooting up. I have H&R race springs so the drop would prevent you from getting in there. What I did was use my jack on the left side pad and slowly take weight off the car until I could get at it.Image
AS A SIDE NOTE SO FAR I WOULD SAY THAT YOU DO NOT NEED THE CAR UP ON RAMPS FOR THIS PROJECT. I JUST WASN'T SURE HOW TOUGH IT WOULD BE. NO ISSUES SO FAR!
Next you need a 50 torx socket and a ratchet.Image I used the breaker bar on the right side but it was too tight due to the exhaust on the left side but was still able to turn the bolt.Image
Both bolts dropped right out. The bumper is free and ready to come off. A slight tug on both sides confirmed it is loose. You just pull straight back. It is on these tracks.Image
And the one on the cover.ImageImage
I want to continue to drive the car so the actual bumper needs to go back on. I took a hammer and lightly tapped the plastic rivet that hold the cover in place so I can get them out a little easeier.Image
Next to those pesky rivets. I was going to use my weed digger, don't laugh it works great but I walked past one of my air tools and saw thisImage Slowly working it around the heads, they all came out it less than a minute total.Image
I thought at this point the cover would come off but there are more of the rivets to deal with. There is a line of them under the trim. Knowing that now I would have removed the bumper trim while every thing was still on the car. The rear piece come straight back.Image
Easy, I use a hair dryer to add a little heat so the plastic is more forgiving.
The side pieces come back, rear of car and out. Note tabs.Image
I drove out the rivet from the rear like before. Image
You can't get at them real well from the front but most came out far enough that I could simply pull them with my fingers. The stuff in the top of the photo is Styrofoam so be careful with it because you will need it to put this back together.
The cover clip onto the bumper on each side. It is self explanatory if you have gotten this far. Ease it out on one side and the other will be free also. Bolt the bumper back on and you are good to go.
Whole project took less than 2 hours including this post.
Jay
JayMac

Return to Detailing & Auto Body Tech