PREPPING FOR PAINT side trim removal

Don't go around looking like a filthy hobo, keep your E36 looking its finest with advice and techniques on bringing out the greatest shine and radiance from your car's paint and upholstery.

PREPPING FOR PAINT side trim removal

Postby JayMac » Sun May 01, 2011 1:26 pm

I pulled the side trim off. After reading a few conflicting posts I thought let's have at it. Since I am using this car to learn how to paint the other I wanted to remove the trim without scratching the car. That said, I decide to attack from the ends rather than top or bottom. I was also looking for something to assist in the removal and the handy paint stick was too thick so... off to the kitchen. A little search and I found the perfect tool. A plastic spreader knife.Image
Open the door and in she goes. The nice thing about this was that the knife is thinner than the track the trim sits it so in the event of a scratch it is not the end of the work because it will be covered when the trim is replaced.Image
The trim will slowly start to give way. Increase the pressure slowly and if you like the hair dryer help soften up the plastic involved in this. You should hear a pop and you have either removed one of the clips or broken it. I think I broke 3 total combined. After I had the first clip out I removed the knife and came in from the top but at an angle. Slowly apply outward pressure as you rock the trim top to bottom. Both side of in less than 5 minutes. Image
There are a couple of types of clips used and you can see that there is one still left on the car. Pliers and a little heat and it cam out in perfect shape. I will buy new clips anyway but you can salvage most if you take your time and heat them up.Image
I cleaned the trough with a microfiber towel and some water.Most of this is pollen and dust. Wipes right off. Image
I want to continue to drive this so I need to address the holes left in the side of the car. You have two option. You can used the rubber grommet and stick them back in the holes.Image
I choose to use electrical tape because it handle the weather pretty well and when I need to remove it I can do so by poking a screw threw it and pulling it off. On the larger holes I used two pieces of tape and start from the bottom because your seam will be more water resistant overlapped from the top.
JayMac

Re: PREPPING FOR PAINT side trim removal

Postby AlpineStar » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:29 am

Nice write up. A hairdryer isn't going to anything for this job FYI. They're just little plasticy-rubber grommets that are pretty much only good for one time use. Deff worth buying all new ones if you're reusing the trim. Good luck with it!
AlpineStar

Re: PREPPING FOR PAINT side trim removal

Postby JayMac » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:40 am

Yes I found that out. I just did not know what to expect so I tried that. In the end I bought about $100 of clips because I have another car to do. This was the first time I painted anything and I wanted to see how inexpensive I could do it for. Since it is a track car there were some issue I was not concerned about. I will actually repaint the whole thing again this winter. It was much easier than I thought and I can use the practice. I did the write ups as a thank you to those that have done them in the past and helped me find info. Since I was not worried about trashing anything it was easy to get in there and just pass on what I found/tried.
JayMac

Return to Detailing & Auto Body Tech