PREPPING FOR PAINT removing side skirts NEED HELP

Don't go around looking like a filthy hobo, keep your E36 looking its finest with advice and techniques on bringing out the greatest shine and radiance from your car's paint and upholstery.

PREPPING FOR PAINT removing side skirts NEED HELP

Postby JayMac » Sun May 01, 2011 4:32 pm

Last job for today was to pull the side skirts. Mostly the plastic expansion rivets but had trouble with the ones on the ends. Ended up using the Dremel to take the head of the back ones. These had a real small head and looked like a torx head but were not. First unwanted carnage but nothing serious. I knew that the left front fender had been worked on and when I went to pull the skirt the weather seal was glued so a bit tore.Image

This has a BMW part number on it but I can't find anything for it. 51.71-8177862. I can't find anything listed for this. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks!
Jay
JayMac

Re: PREPPING FOR PAINT removing side skirts NEED HELP

Postby DEFKON99 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:26 pm

not sure but maybe you can find what you need here
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog ... xt_pg3.htm
Edge one looks like that stupid cube you buy to reset the brake pistons on doo doo cars -Proctor750

DEFKON99
Site Admin

1993 BMW 3 Series

Re: PREPPING FOR PAINT removing side skirts NEED HELP

Postby JayMac » Sun May 01, 2011 6:40 pm

Nope, they have no listing. I think I did find something. The gasket is listed on Realoem. It is part number 51712234044. Apparently the side skirts I have are listed as for the compact model because I did kind them on the web. So I am up and running. Thanks for keeping an eye on me. Hope I am not boring everyone to death but thought more pics are better than none. Found info on them by doing a Google search for BMW part 8177862 and found some info. All of it was from overseas.
Since my skirts are okay I just needed the gasket. So far so good.
Jay
JayMac

Return to Detailing & Auto Body Tech